Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Driver not detected

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
agodwin

Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Driver not detected

Post by agodwin »

I have this wiring setup: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16683375/photo.JPG and I believe that it is correct, however when everything turns on (the power light on the servo driver is on on the servo driver as well) and I run the command "sudo i2cdetect -y 1" nothing shows up at 0x40. Is my wiring bad, or have I done something else wrong. I've followed the tutorial word for word.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Adafruit 16-Channel 12-bit PWM/Servo Driver not detected

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Let's double-check the ribbon-cable connection. With that in place, take a voltage reading at the breakout's VCC pin. It should be 3.3v, obviously. Thing is, it's possible to connect the ribbon cable to the RasPi's GPIO header in a way that sends the signals to the wrong pins.

Also try `sudo i2cdetect -y 0`, just to see if anything shows up on the other I2C bus. There are some version issues there, too.

agodwin

Post by agodwin »

Sorry I took so long to reply. The multimeter says that it's 3.3 so the cable is correct. I've got a second revision pi, and tried both with no luck. The power light on the breakout lights up, but still nothing showing up on the pi. Unfortunately I've got no other i2c devices lying around, if you would like I can put some pictures of the breakout up to see if I'm missing anything blatant.

adafruit_support_mike

Do post a photo. The more information I have, the better I can sniff out trouble spots.

agodwin

Post by agodwin »

Would there be any way to test to see if it is the pi, or the specific pins without having another pi or i2c device lying around? I only have access to a multimeter right now.

adafruit_support_mike

I think we can solve this one just from the photos.

The pictures of the breakout show empty pads on both sides, but the photo of the connections showed pin header holding the breakout into the breadboard.

Am I right in guessing that you haven't soldered the pin header to the breakout, but instead were doing sort of a friction-fit by running the pins through the holes in the breakout and into the breadboard?

If so, that doesn't work. You need a solder joint to get a reliable connection between the breakout's pads and the pin header.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”