Raspberry PI Not working

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
adafruit_support_mike

Re: Raspberry PI Not working

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

What we're doing is confirming a hardware failure that would be appropriate for an RMA, as opposed to a user error or environmental conditions that don't warrant replacement.

Technically, if the device worked when it came out of the box, we did our part, and what happens after that is your problem. We know that manufacturing failures happen though (at a rate of about 0.1% for the RasPi) and Adafruit has a generous support policy. We aren't in the "this one broke, give me another" business though. Not knowing what you were signing up for when you got the RasPi falls under the heading of 'caveat emptor'. You may have had a $35 learning experience.

What I'm doing is trying to collect information that will A) warrant sending you a replacement, and B) expand our knowledge of how these devices fail so we can help other people in the future.

nick sara

Post by nick sara »

adafruit_support_mike wrote:What we're doing is confirming a hardware failure that would be appropriate for an RMA, as opposed to a user error or environmental conditions that don't warrant replacement.

Technically, if the device worked when it came out of the box, we did our part, and what happens after that is your problem. We know that manufacturing failures happen though (at a rate of about 0.1% for the RasPi) and Adafruit has a generous support policy. We aren't in the "this one broke, give me another" business though. Not knowing what you were signing up for when you got the RasPi falls under the heading of 'caveat emptor'. You may have had a $35 learning experience.

What I'm doing is trying to collect information that will A) warrant sending you a replacement, and B) expand our knowledge of how these devices fail so we can help other people in the future.
Thanks for learning experience. :shock:

I work in the software so I know about the user error; but I haven't asked my users to debug code anytime. I wasn't sure whether the Raspberry PI was supposed to heat up to hurt my fingers. I will try to learn to use the tool that you had said and post here.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

When a user calls you saying your program doesn't work, you probably ask for diagnostic information. That's what we're doing here.

In this case, it sounds like we may have a failure in the capacitor that keeps the voltage regulator working properly, and if that's the case, it could be a problem we want to report back to the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”