Chronodot Installation

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
Gladstone

Chronodot Installation

Post by Gladstone »

I have added a RTC to my Raspi using Chronodot and PiPlate. After I installed the board and ran i2cdetect it recognized the device displaying 0x68. Subsequently, I accidently pulled out the usb wireless devicewith the Pi still on. The Pi booted immediately with no problems, but when I ran i2cdetect again the device did not show up (just UU). What is the likelihood that I fried the chronodot, or worse something related to i2c on the Pi? Is there any way of testing before I replace? (or give up!)

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Chronodot Installation

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Are you certain you didn't simply jostle the I2C wires loose? It's hard to imagine that toasting the Chronodot.

You might try resetting the chronodot: with the power off, remove and reinstall the backup battery.

Gladstone

Post by Gladstone »

Ive tested the connections from i2c to chronodot and nothing seems to be amiss. I've also reset the chronodot but the result is the same. Is there anyway to test the chronodot?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

The only way to test it would be with another microcontroller, like an Arduino or another Pi. Have you got anything like that?

Gladstone

Post by Gladstone »

No. Is there anyway, at least, to tell if the problem is not the Pi?

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

If you have another i2c device, you could connect that and see if it works. That would verify that the Pi i2c bus was still functional.

Gladstone

Post by Gladstone »

I purchased and installed a RasClock and there was no problem. I think this implies that pulling out the wifi dongle fried the ChromoDot. Since it worked before I pulled the dongle out, I'm assuming the wiring is fine.
Thanks for the suggestions

donde

Post by donde »

My project is similiar, except I'm using the less costly 1307 chip. I saw a 68 in the beginning also, but later it became a UU, and the my RTC was way off the right time. I sent in a question to this forum, and got back this from Mike of Adafruit. I was able to clear the time trouble doing updates and correcting a RTC option. The UU is still there.
The 'UU' means that a kernel module is using that address, so the general probe is skipping over the address to avoid messing with the existing connection.

That's a good thing. It means the kernel module which you enabled is probably talking to the RTC. Try rebooting the RasPi and see if it syncs to the RTC.
So, I think your Chronodot is OK. Hope this helps.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”