PiTFT Mini Kit and RPi camera

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
donde

PiTFT Mini Kit and RPi camera

Post by donde »

Will the new 2.8" display work with the Raspberry Pi camera? I'm starting to build up a Time Lapse setup using their camera? If there is support, this would make a great little monitor instead of using HDMI.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: PiTFT Mini Kit and RPi camera

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Good question..

I haven't tried it yet, but there shouldn't be any problem in terms of IO. The RasPi Camera plugs into a dedicated connector on the PCB and uses a bus specifically made for video data. The display uses the SPI interface exposed through the GPIO pins.

There might be a mechanical issue between the camera's ribbon cable and the plate that holds the display, but I'll check on that.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

yup! we even tested it (altho we did not have time to publish a tutorial yet) just snake the cable underneath.

enable camera in raspi-config
sudo apt-get install fbi
raspistill -o image.jpg
sudo fbi -d /dev/fb1 -T 2 -a -noverbose image.jpg

donde

Post by donde »

Very fine! What is fbi?

In fooling with the RPi camera, I discovered that just this will show what camera is seeing on HDMI monitor for 5 seconds (or longer

raspistill -t 5000

It seems many commands can be shortened or combined.

Here's a good one for the new little monitor and camera.

raspistill -t 5000 -rot 90 (or 270)

to rotate view on the monitor.

donde

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

donde wrote:Very fine! What is fbi?
That's the Frame Buffer Image viewer.

bnovaz

Post by bnovaz »

Hi,

I've installed and configured the PiTFT and everything is working except the ability to see the console on boot - the display remains black.

I've added and confirmed that I have "fbcon=map:10 fbcon=font:VGA8x8" in my /boot/cmdline.txt file.

I have also run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup and go thru to select Terminus 6x12" as suggested.

Any suggestions?

-Bob

bnovaz

Post by bnovaz »

OK - Found the problem to the no console log visible during boot. It was a carriage return in between "rootwait" and "fbcon=map:10 fbcon=font:VGA8x8" in cmdline.txt.

Thanks,

-Bob

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”