Pi NoIr Camera DOA

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
bjkramp76

Pi NoIr Camera DOA

Post by bjkramp76 »

Hello,
I purchased the Pi NoIr Camera last week (11/25/2013) and it seems to be doa....The Purchase Invoice number is 381973. I followed the instructions very carefully several times to try and resolve the issue to no avail. Thinking perhaps that there was something wrong with either of the two Raspberry Pi boards I have I went ahead and purchased a full color Pi Camera from my local MicroCenter store, it worked just fine!!! So I went through the typical swapping out of the ribbon cables and camera modules and determined that the NoIr camera itself is faulty. I have certainly taken all of the preventative static arresting measures and good electronic repair practices. It fails right at the point prior to when the preview window is supposed to open. I am not sure what to ask for here as I am actually using the NoIr Ribbon cable to extend the overall length of the Camera cable using an old ribbon coupler I had in the junk box. Is it possible to ask for some kind of help here? I did pay for Next Day Air shipping just to get a DOA product. It is unfortunate. Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Pi NoIr Camera DOA

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Sounds like you've already done a pretty good job of troubleshooting. There's only one thing on our checklist that you didn't mention:

Have you tried disconnecting and re-seating the fine-pitch connector that connects the camera module to the PCB?

bjkramp76

Post by bjkramp76 »

Although I did not explicitly state each step in disconnecting the ribbon cables from the two Pi Boards that I have I did explain that I did in fact do just that. That, I assume, would imply that I did in fact disconnect and reconnect the ribbon cable at each Pi Board.

adafruit_support_mike

In understood your statements about the ribbon cable. I asked about the FPC between the camera and the breadboard:
fpc.jpg
fpc.jpg (15.71 KiB) Viewed 307 times

bjkramp76

Post by bjkramp76 »

Yep, sure did. As I stated, I swapped the Camera modules between Boards. To further explain: I removed the Camera Modules from their respective boards. The Full Color Camera Module works just fine on either black or green solder masked boards. The NoIr Camera Module does not. What is the solution? Am I out what I paid, or what? If so, please let me know asap so that I might make other arrangements for my project.

adafruit_support_mike

In that case we'll get you a replacement. Send a message to [email protected] with a link to this thread.

bjkramp76

Post by bjkramp76 »

Ok, The new NoIr camera works perfectly. I really appreciate the help on this. I also appreciate how quickly this was taken care of. Shipping was fast, everything is working out GREAT! I cannot explain the actual failure but either way it has been handled. Thanks Mike!!!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”