Mostly successful PiTFT install

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
dar kale

Mostly successful PiTFT install

Post by dar kale »

Just have received two PiTFT displays and installed one of them on a R-Pi. Here are some notes.

1. Had "FATAL: Module g2d_23 not found"
Fixed with newer tutorial.

2. Calibrate needs "debounce" time; I noticed all the calibrate touch boxes flash past when I bounced my stylus accidentally. It took me 3 or 4 attempts to get a good cal. After recognizing the user performed a touch, the software might delay 500ms or so before displaying the next input target and not accepting touches until then.

3. The second calibrate routine after entering:
FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1 startx &
DISPLAY=:0.0 xinput_calibrator

worked similar. By the time I moved from the remote terminal over to the bench with the Pi and read the screen, it timed out and I had to start over.

4. Nearly done but the touch directions are backwards on mine so I prepared to follow the steps to fix this.

I started writing notes so I would know which axes needed reversing. Touching the screen caused some program to start; I don't know what. But it flashed a screen saying "operation finished but there were some errors during file move" ??? What got moved? where did it move to? Is there a log file that might have this information?

During the install (connected remotely ssh fashion), the old large monitor sometimes would display the gui and sometimes not. By the time I finished, it does not appear to get any output from the HDMI connector. I don't know if that is intentional or not. Is it possible to have both display simultaneously? I wanted to go on a snipe hunt to see what the consequences of step 4 above were but the little TFT is too small to use for this.

All in all, things went very smoothly. I'm barely a novice at linux and had never remoted in via ssh so I received lots of great experience. Thank you for the great tutorial - it really helped out.

dar kale

Re: Mostly successful PiTFT install

Post by dar kale »

The error that happened earlier was simply the result of dragging one icon on top of another - the system interpreted this as me trying to move a file into a folder so put up the error message.

Now I'm going through all the excellent tutorials published by Adafruit - fantastic job! Thanks!

dar kale

Post by dar kale »

Looking good now - just setup a second system and it came up pretty much flawlessly. I got hit with one weird thing though...

To help eliminate errors typing in all the various commands to install the TFT software, I opened up the PDF of the tutorial. For reference, it's the one here:
http://learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf ... rry-pi.pdf

Then I copied from the pdf and pasted into the Putty program.

At the bottom of page 15, the two lines of commands copied in with one or two embedded spaces, (at least on my system with my copy of Adobe Reader):

Code: Select all

sudo nano ~/.pro file
expo rt FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1
Don't know if everyone will see it like that but once I caught on to it, it was easy to fix.
Hope this helps other noobies like myself!

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Hunh.. that's one I've never seen before.

Glad to hear you have everything working though!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”