PN532 RFID and raspberry pi

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
neonblue

PN532 RFID and raspberry pi

Post by neonblue »

I have the PN532 and am attempting to hook this up to my raspberry pi. I saw a tutorial before I ordered it but I can't seem to find it now. Does anyone know where it's at?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: PN532 RFID and raspberry pi

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

thedoctar

Post by thedoctar »

Hi I am looking for help, I have the PN532 break out board working as per the tut' on a raspberry pi but I am want to use it in python. From what i can understand you can use pynfc but there seams to very little support /tutorials out there. Do you know of any tutorials out there that might point me in the right direction ???

What i want to do is to scan a card which will then start a count down on a 7 segment display with the backpack. I have got the 7 segment display working and thanks to your tutorials and files have managed to get a reasonably good understanding of how to it use in python but the PN532 is just kind of looking like its outside of my level of understanding..... Grrrrr .....

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Sorry - I know nothing of pynfc.

LED_head

Post by LED_head »

What have you done so far with the PN532 and Pi?

Depending on how you want to interface the PN532 to the Pi will determine what is available for libraries in Python. Even so, I agree the documentation is kinda lacking.

Today I connected them using i2c and wrote a short Python3 program to read the tag, which appears to be successful. I'll admit RFID/NFC is all new to me, but I do have the bytearray read back from the card but thats where I stopped. I have not figured out how to decipher the bytes in the bytearray in terms of what they represent (I am scanning the card that came with the PN532 and the BANNED Mifare keychain tags. Once I figure that out, I can parse the bytearray and process it as needed.

Let me know how you plan to interface and I will at least point you in a direction.

Thanks
:)

thedoctar

Post by thedoctar »

Thanks led_head for your reply.

I haven't managed a great do a great deal yet. I've set it up using the uart as per the adafruit instructions and managed to get it to read a couple of cars using the examples. I have been teaching myself python code via codecademy and some tutorials on YouTube and would really like to use python as a posed to start to learn c as well.

How have you set it up using the i2c? I have i2c for the 7 segment display with the backpack and found this quite usable.

Cheers

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”