Physically securing the PiTFT

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
aforst01

Physically securing the PiTFT

Post by aforst01 »

Happy to report that I have a nicely functioning PiTFT snug inside PiBow case, and only have a minor support question.

The two sticky strips were not quite sticky enough, and the screen is free as a bird, is there something recommended that I can use to secure it?

I have some Hot Stuff Cyanoacrylate (super glue) on my desk, but not sure which adhesive would work best. With my luck, Cyanoacrylate would react to something on the board and I'd lose my eyebrows.

Link to glue: http://www.amazon.com/Stuff-Super-Insta ... B0006O3TNK

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Physically securing the PiTFT

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Double-sided foam tape should work.. you can probably find it in the office supplies aisle at Walmart. The foam will level out any variations between the back of the display and the PCB. It will also prevent strain on the glass and give a little shock absorption as you move the unit around.

aforst01

Post by aforst01 »

My only concern with this is that the once 'flush with the PiTFT case' display would then stick out roughly the height of the delicate parts.

Might anyone be aware of a glue that's safe to use in case I can't find 'very thin' 2 sided adhesive?

carlrj

Post by carlrj »

I ran into exactly the same problem (loose tape strips, PiTFT in the PiTFT Pibow case - though shipped from England before Adafruit stocked it), ended up solving the problem with removable poster tape, that I had on hand. It's much thinner than the double-sided foam tape, and offers the possibility of undoing things someday without breaking the screen (because it holds, hmm, somewhat stronger than PostIt notes, but way less strong that some of the foam tape I've seen).

I started with two strips, perhaps 1.5" long, side by side, on the circuit board behind the display, and then ended up putting another layer or two on top of those to lift the screen up just a smidge, to level out variations as Mike says, and to provide a slightly better chance of peeling it apart, should I decide to try that at some future point.

I'm very happy with how the Pi/TFT/pibow/(tape) worked out together - I now have a super accurate desk clock I can log in to with ssh :)

aforst01

Post by aforst01 »

Ok I completely forgot about the Scotch double-sided, I talked to the guys in my creative department and have a new roll in my bag, so I'll try that tonight. Thanks!

I was somewhat planning to use the PiTFT as a mobile linux computer, which I could just take with me to a few locations (in my pocket) and use their keyboard / mouse, so I may still just Chuck Yeager it and throw some glue on one day, but I think this solution will work for the next couple of months.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”