HDMI to VGA adapter Black Screen

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
G3P0

Re: HDMI to VGA adapter Black Screen

Post by G3P0 »

A_S_Mike...

I tried removing the sd card and mounting in my PC (Win7) and I used Explorer to view the contents - the directory with t he Raspbian OS is not visible in windows 7.

Am I doing something wrong?

I am able to view it from a different (Linux) pc.

G

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

The OS itself won't be visible, but you should get an untitled removable storage device that contains files named 'cmdline.txt' and 'config.txt' among others. That partition ends up being mounted on the /boot directory by the time the RasPi is fully up and running.

Some computers can be fussy about talking to SD cards, so you may have to plug the card in and out a few times before the OS notices.

FL

Post by FL »

I just received the HDMI to VGA adapter ID:1151 yesterday.
It worked great straight out of the bag when connected from a Raspberri Pi to a VGA monitor. I even tried it on a second monitor and again it worked right away on booting up the Raspberry Pi. I then left the Raspberry Pi on while attending something else (I was NOT doing anything with the Raspberry Pi) and all of a suddend the screen went black.
I wondered if the Raspberry Pi went in screen saver mode but I would certainly expect to pull out when when used, which did NOT happen. Since then nothing! The HDMI to VGA adapter is just NOT working.
The Raspberry Pi and monitor still work well. I tried the adapter with another Raspberry Pi and different VGA monitors. Nothing works. I tried it with a PC: black screen.
I changed the config.txt file to HDMI safe mode but to no avail.

So it worked right away and worked great but for less than one hour and now nothing.
It seems to me the adapter failed within its first hour of use.

Any suggestions are welcomed but a replacement seems to me to be the solution.
FL

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

@FL - Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement adapter

danielslamb

Post by danielslamb »

I received a HDMI TO VGA VIDEO + AUDIO ADAPTER that I ordered that does not seem to work with my Rapberry Pi.
I only see a black screen when I use the adapter with my VGA monitor and Pi. The adapter does work if I use it with my laptop HDMI
output.
Any suggestions? Is this just a bad unit that I received.

-Thanks

danielslamb

Post by danielslamb »

My order was placed May 18, 2014.

adafruit_support_rick

If it works with another HDMI source, then there's nothing wrong with the adapter. You must have a configuration issue with the Pi.

Did you apply the config.txt from the product page?
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1151

FL

Post by FL »

FL wrote:I just received the HDMI to VGA adapter ID:1151 yesterday.
It worked great straight out of the bag when connected from a Raspberri Pi to a VGA monitor. I even tried it on a second monitor and again it worked right away on booting up the Raspberry Pi. I then left the Raspberry Pi on while attending something else (I was NOT doing anything with the Raspberry Pi) and all of a suddend the screen went black.
I wondered if the Raspberry Pi went in screen saver mode but I would certainly expect to pull out when when used, which did NOT happen. Since then nothing! The HDMI to VGA adapter is just NOT working.
The Raspberry Pi and monitor still work well. I tried the adapter with another Raspberry Pi and different VGA monitors. Nothing works. I tried it with a PC: black screen.
I changed the config.txt file to HDMI safe mode but to no avail.

So it worked right away and worked great but for less than one hour and now nothing.
It seems to me the adapter failed within its first hour of use.

Any suggestions are welcomed but a replacement seems to me to be the solution.
FL

Problem solved with the replacement HDMI to VGA adapter (ID: #1151) you sent me.
I received it last week, it worked great straight out of the bag and ... it has kept on working: no failure this time.

Thank you adafruit.

tdwight1

Post by tdwight1 »

Invoice # 646868
HDMI to VGA video + audio adapter #1151

I get video from this device fine. But the main reason i purchased it was to split off the audio of my WIndows 7 laptop HDMI output to my sound board. I hear video audio faintly, but mostly just electronic hum, even after using a direct box with ground lift (lowers hum, but audio is still faint). I'm going out of the audio output of the #1151 adapter to a quarter inch adapter cable into a direct box to an xlr cable run of 40 feet back to the sound board. I checked all my cables and they work fine. I also made sure playback on the audio of my laptop was from the projector setting.

adafruit_support_rick

Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement adapter

RBeech

Post by RBeech »

I seem to be suffering a similar fate with the same adapter.

It worked well out of the box, firing right up with the RPi, and then it just stopped working. I have tried many things, various config.txt settings, including the "known good" one linked from the product page, hdmi safe mode etc. Also reformatted the SD card and reinstalled the image file for NOOBS, and tried Raspbian directly. Only result is the black screen. The monitor does not indicate no signal, just gives a plain black screen on two different known good monitors

Can log into the RPi over the network no problem...

I don't have another HDMI source to test it against, but feels like a hardware issue.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Try adding "config_hdmi_boost=4" to /boot/config.txt.

The RasPi's HDMI output is kind of weak to save power. The option above increases the output level.

RBeech

Post by RBeech »

I have tried that also. Perhaps I will try a little more boost? Like I said, it seems the monitor recognizes that there is a signal, but it is just a plain black screen.

I have tried hotplug, boost, safe mode, and also the default, which did originally work.

adafruit_support_rick

We can try replacing it. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement adapter

RBeech

Post by RBeech »

In the time I was waiting for the replacement part (not that long really!) I was able to obtain a HDMI to DVI adapter and test that configuration out. Worked perfectly.

The new HDMI to VGA adapter arrived today, and all is well now. The new cable worked perfectly first time, no configuration tweaks required. Seems the old cable was the problem.

Thanks very much to Adafruit for exemplary customer service on this one.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”