raspberry pi no green light

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
achaubal

raspberry pi no green light

Post by achaubal »

Hi,

I realize that this is a very basic and already oft discussed issue.
But I just bought the raspberry pi starter pack which has the pi and lots of other things - including the micro SD card.
I have tried to burn wheezy on it using the win32 disk image software. I also tried using the NOOBS.
These files/images burn fine and I can see them in windows explorer.
But the Pi does not boot up at all.
There is no light besides RED,
I also tried another 8GB SD card, no dice...
not sure about the "faint green glow", but there is a singular "greenish/yellowish" dot on the small rectangle next to the big RED LED, which stays solid.

Do I have a faulty Pi or SD card, or SD card reader.?

All the components were bought as part of the starter pack , including the SD card, card reader, Rpi, USB charger and cable...
Please help

thanks

ameet

adafruit_support_mike

Re: raspberry pi no green light

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

achaubal wrote:not sure about the "faint green glow", but there is a singular "greenish/yellowish" dot on the small rectangle next to the big RED LED, which stays solid.
That's the faint green glow. It means your RasPi can't talk to the SD card.

That happens sometimes. Try reformatting the card with the SD Association's official formatting tool: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ and see if that helps. The formatters in most operating systems are kind of sloppy about it. If that doesn't work, try another SD card. If our card just doesn't work (which, sadly, happens from time to time) we'll get you a new one.

Also check your SD card holder under a strong light to see if there are any specks of solder or dust under the pins. One in every several thousand RasPi's picks up a bit of grit from the assembly process, which causes immense frustration but can be solved with a steady hand and a sewing needle.

achaubal

Post by achaubal »

thanks mike,

I did use another 8GB micro SD card from my cell phone, same deal.
That's the part concerning, that two cards were unable to boot the Pi.
I did use the SD formatter with ON as well as OFF option for formatting.
I have tried NOOBS as well as Win32Disk Imager for Wheezy Raspbian.
no dice...
my untrained eyes unfortunately couldn't pick up any dust :(

All the items are from the pack for the BANNED MOOC, so I was hoping that they would play nicely with each other...

adafruit_support_mike

If multiple cards won't work, especially after being Officially Formatted, there's probably something wonky in the RasPi itself.

Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread and the folks there will get you a replacement.

achaubal

Post by achaubal »

ok, mike I have to apologize for my newbie mistake and not reading thoroughly on the internet.
But I just wanted to let you know the crazy ways in which a newbie could cause this problem.
So I was inserting the micro SD card inside the small SD card reader, the USB one and inserting it into the USB slot.
The Pi did not, could not read the files from there.
I did not realize that I had to put the microSD in the standard size SD card adapter and slide it under the Pi.
As soon as I did that, the Pi booted fine.
I will contact the support and ship the additional Pi back soon.

Thanks for your help and again sorry for the mistake.

ameet

adafruit_support_mike

Ah.. that would do it.

Thank you for mentioning the root problem. I never would have thought to ask that. ;-)

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”