In need of a display to finish a project

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
rwink

In need of a display to finish a project

Post by rwink »

I've been working on a RPI project that requires a full color LCD. I'm in need of a small panel mount lcd (2-4 inch) that is plug and play via composite but will also let the Pi output audio and video via HDMI. The PiTFT was almost the perfect solution except that I couldn't get it to work with any of the distros or SW that I'm using (my lack of linux skills). I just want to make sure my next purchase is going to do what I need so I dont continue to keep wasting time and money. I only need the display to help navigate the the GUI and set up certain application preferences, its not going to be used for displaying motion, but id like to be able to have the hdmi output on with out having to run a command or reconfigure a setting every time. will any of the small composite lcds work with any distro beside raspbian without having to configure them, add drivers, or alter the kernel? Will they let the pi output composite and hdmi at the same time, or is it one or the other? Thanks in advance!

adafruit_support_mike

Re: In need of a display to finish a project

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

If you need separate displays on the two screens, you might want to look at the PiTFT: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1601

The trouble is that each display needs a framebuffer, and the stock kernel only has one. The RasPi will send signals to an NTSC/PAL display if that's all it sees, but if an HDMI display is available, the kernel will shut the NTSC/PAL system off.

We had to write a patched kernel to get the PiTFT to work independently of the onboard video, but the effort paid off: it works nicely as a plug-in display or as as secondary display that lets you do other things with the HDMI output.

rwink

Post by rwink »

Hey Mike, I tried using the PiTFT with the original tutorial and I got it to work with raspbian but that was it. Unfortunately I'm still pretty new to linux and I'm not able to get it to work with OpenELEC that's why i was asking for more of a plug n play option. I understand that its hard to support so many distros with all the hardware. It really would be the perfect option for my project.
Just to give you a quick rundown of what I'm doing. I'm using OpenELEC as a portable and automated CD ripper. The only time I would really need the display is when the software goes to look up the album info online and there are multiple options to chose from. Or when I have to log onto WiFi. The PiTFT would be good because I wouldn't need a mouse. I would like the HDMI out as an option for play back. Even if I would be able to enable/disable via gpio button.

caelthunderwing

Post by caelthunderwing »

kinda in same near boat here myself rwink (well once i get mine soldered! :P) but far as i know it SHOULD work as a second display there was a guide somewhere to make it work side by side w/ the Main display driver [unless im mistaken]

you might have a lil better luck using Raspbmc over OpenELEC

rwink

Post by rwink »

I'll load up RBMC and give it a try. Do you know if the pitft works with it? The only reason why I chose openelec was it was the easiest for me to rip a cd to flac. I know there are better options out there to rip, I just couldn't get them to work for me. Openelec will start to rip as soon as the tray closes and will automatically look up the artist info and start working. Every once in awhile multiple options come up for a disc, the touchscreen would be great for it. This display situation is stalling progress that's why I'm open to another option for ease of use but then I'd have to add a KB and mouse. I'll buy whatever I need to finish.
Thanks for the feedback!

crazylefty

Post by crazylefty »

I've got it running as a second display to my RetroPie install, just using the tutorial.
It displays RetroPie over HDMI and terminal/X from the PiTFT

Now I need to be able to flip that, but that's for another post.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”