PiTFT Framebuffer problem

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
splinter_777

PiTFT Framebuffer problem

Post by splinter_777 »

Hey guys,
I'm currently trying to install an Adafruit PiTFT to my RPi for an important part of my final degree model. I have been following the Adafruit guide studiously and everything was going well until this part:

"If you have a version of Raspbian more recent than Sept. 2013, you'll need to turn off the accelerated X framebuffer here, run "sudo mv /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf ~" to remove the accelerated X buffer and save it in your home directory"

I tried this several times but just got the message:

"mv: missing destination file operand after '/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf ~'"

I proceeded on with the install with a "sudo reboot" and then:

"sudo modprobe spi-bcm2708
sudo modprobe fbtft_device name=adafruitts rotate=90
export FRAMEBUFFER=/dev/fb1
startx"

As it should the screen then turned from white to black but DIDN'T display the desktop. I can only assume this is to do with being unable to locate/relocate the fb files??? Anybody have any ideas how I can get this rectified?
I'm pretty new to programming so I'm a bit stumped here and this project is very time sensitive so any help is greatly greatly appreciated.
Thanks

notro

Re: PiTFT Framebuffer problem

Post by notro »

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf overrides the FRAMEBUFFER variable, so X windows goes to /dev/fb0

You have three options
Move the file as specified in the tutorial (moves the file to the home dir)

Code: Select all

sudo mv /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf ~
delete the file:

sudo rm /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf
or edit the file and the FRAMEBUFFER variable is not needed:

sudo nano /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-fbturbo.conf
change the fbdev option to /dev/fb1

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”