PI TFT with UDOO

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
terraceaudio

PI TFT with UDOO

Post by terraceaudio »

So call me crazy,

I'm hoping to use this awesome wee TFT with an UDOO board and the provided kernel patches. If this won't work in theory for some reason, please let me know. :)

If it will in theory work, is it possible to get some info on how to change which GPIO pins the kernel would use? I only ask because the UDOO board doesn't have a GPIO0, and it would be cleaner to have the GPIO pins all together, rather than spread out over the different pinout on the UDOO.

I'm hoping there is a file somewhere that has the variables telling the OS which pins to use for what on the TFT, but if it is coded in to the patch files, then a quick point to where in the kernel patches I can find the code to edit? Unless the patch files are board specific in which case I'll have to spend a bunch of time with Yocto studying the patches anyways, so all good.

I know the tutorial says there will be no support offered on how to apply the patches and recompile the kernel, but hopefully this falls far enough away from a how to on kernel gymnastics to merit some help. If I'm missing some key reason why I'm oversimplifying things, and this is actually a master's in engineering with two degrees in compSci type of problem, then feel free to leave it at that. :P

Cheers!

richarduk

Re: PI TFT with UDOO

Post by richarduk »

That's an interesting little board you found there but from what I have read the I/O is supplied from the Arduino DUE part of the system so I doubt that you could directly connect the display to the Linux kernel. You would be better getting theArduino version of the PiTFT display. I don't know if this is compatible with the Arduino DUE only adafruit can confirm that but should just plug in and play. You would then need to write a sketch to receive data from the Linux side and display on the TFT.

terraceaudio

Re: PI TFT with UDOO

Post by terraceaudio »

Thanks for the reply!

The concept for the board is that it is an Arduino Due AND a quad core better-than-pi, and they have their pinouts overlayed, and can discuss the merits of each GPIO with each other on a pin by pin basis, or through an internal UART bus.

So yes, I can most definitely attach a display... (or many I hope, as there are 4 separate SPI blocks) to the linux side, or of course as you suggest I could put a screen on the Arduino side (the pin useage would be the same, or very similar).

For my application however, I am hoping to get the touch screen on the linux side, and use the Arduino side to control other things. It's a simple matter to wire the MOSI from the TFT to the MOSI on the UDOO etc etc, but from my cursory look at the kernel patches, there are a few places where it says "Blah blah blah, awesome adafruit code, GPIO=24" or similar. As well I believe there is an UDOO image that is a direct descendant of Raspbian (Which is why I was hoping the patches may still offer a jumping off point).

Since I have 2 of these TFTs already from another project, just an idea if it will be a simple matter of patching the patches to tell the kernel which GPIO to use, or if it will involve me writing my own kernel patches or python programs to interface with x, will help me decide whether to go with different TFTs. Ultimately, the UDOO store has a 7" touchscreen plug and play LVDS screen.. But it's about 4 times as much as I picked these ones up for. The adafruit store has nice similar TFT displays that aren't PI pinout compatible, but should ultimately be roughly the same in the end hardware wise I presume.

Cheers

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”