PiTFT move screen's view oround desktop

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
seaman55

PiTFT move screen's view oround desktop

Post by seaman55 »

Is there a way to move the screen's view around the desktop, rather than just viewing the on portion of the desktop all of the time?
There are some applications like the wpa_gui that do not have window scroll bars, so you can never view the lower half without having a way to move the screen's focus.
I was thinking it may be a good idea to use the 4 buttons below the screen for navigation;
(1) move left one screen position for each press
(2) move right one screen position for each press
(3) move up one screen position for each press
(4) move down one screen position for each press

I guess I should find out if there is already something built into the OS, PiTFT drivers, or anything else that already addresses this?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: PiTFT move screen's view oround desktop

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You are seeing the entire frame buffer. There is no 'off-screen' section.

rdlemaster

Post by rdlemaster »

There is a way to set the "virtual" resolution for the screen in X11. I'm not sure if it will work for this or not, but
here is a snippit that shows what I'm talking about:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Card0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Modes "320x200"
Depth 24
Virtual 800 480
EndSubSection
EndSection

I think the depth is different for this screen, but you get the gist of it.

seaman55

Post by seaman55 »

Rick,
Does this mean that I should be able to increase the frame buffer to equal that of a 1920x1080 display and then apps will not extend beyond the frame buffer, and if this is done, we should be able to have the screen able to be moved around the 1920x1080 buffer area via whatever means we create correct?

I'm not too well versed with framebuffer at the moment, is there a good reference to modifying the framebuffer to accomplish what I am trying to do?

If I am going about this the wrong way, please put me on the right track?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

X11 may be able to do it, but we've never heard of someone doing it with the PiTFT - trying to squeeze 1920x1080 into 320x240 is likely to be really hard to use. We suggest updating to an HDMI display!

seaman55

Post by seaman55 »

Actually, I'm not looking to cram 1920x1080 onto a 320x240 screen. I want to have the screen space that the OS uses to be 1920x1080, but have the PiTFT display 320x240 chunks of it.

To navigate around the space, the PiTFT could follow the mouse pointer, or use double finger gestures like like Apple products do, or use the 4 tactile buttons like I mentioned in the first post.

I hope this makes more sense now.
I am trying to come up with a workable solution to use the PiTFT with X11, and be able to run programs that are designed to run on larger displays (720P, 1080P, etc..). I love the compact form factor of the PiTFT, very portable.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”