Pi camera not detected on B+

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
mypitboss

Pi camera not detected on B+

Post by mypitboss »

Created a fresh, updated SD and went through the Pi Camera touchscreen tutorial project on my B+. I have completed this tutorial from soup-to-nuts with no problem 3 times on the Pi B. But, my camera is not detected on the new board.

https://learn.adafruit.com/diy-wifi-ras ... -touch-cam

I've tried different B+ boards, different Pi cameras, swapped out the ribbon a few times, run sudo rpi-update. Nothing seems to get the board to recognize the camera (no power to the LED).

The error is odd. I cut & pasted this simple code from the official site just to see if that would work:

Code: Select all

import time
import picamera

camera = picamera.PiCamera()
try:
    camera.start_preview()
    time.sleep(10)
    camera.stop_preview()
finally:
    camera.close()
And, this is the error I get:

mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:ENOMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "testcamera.py", line 4, in <module>
    camera = picamera.PiCamera()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py", line 330, in __init__
    self._init_camera(camera_num)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py", line 366, in _init_camera
    "Camera is not enabled. Try running 'sudo raspi-config' "
picamera.exc.PiCameraError: Camera is not enabled. Try running 'sudo raspi-config' and ensure that the camera has been enabled.
This is very strange, since I have enabled--and never disabled--the camera in the raspi-config screen. In fact, I got this error immediately after re-running and re-enabling the camera and re-booting. It's like its ignoring me.

I did this to see if the system was even aware of the camera:

vcgencmd get_camera
It returns:

supported=1 detected=0
I've been looking at the official Pi Camera site, and I'm not the only one that has this problem. In the forum, some people think it's an I2C conflict, and suggest messing around with Wiring Pi. I'm not too sure about that.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43&t=84000

Then again, it could be a conflict between the older version the tutorial recommends (Pi Cam 0.8 vs. 1.0) and the updated software.

Overall, this is causing me big problems. So frustrated. Please-suggestions.

Thanks

mypitboss

Re: Pi camera not detected on B+

Post by mypitboss »

Just changed out the B+ board for a B. Now, the camera works.

mypitboss

Post by mypitboss »

Also, I think it's possible one of my USB peripherals had a short. Not convinced there's truly an issue with the B+. Might have just not plugged the bad peripheral in when I thought I had.

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Glad to hear things are working for you.

mypitboss

Post by mypitboss »

Ok, it's a real problem I think.

The capacitive touch-screen capabilities suddenly stopped working on my B. Cannot explain why. I assume there must be some bad connection between the screen and the board. Tried everything I could think of. So, I changed boards back to the B+.

To make sure everything was kosher:
>Used a fresh image from:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-8 ... sy-install
>apt-get update/apt-get upgrade
>Followed the install from the guide for the pi camera here (done this tens of times at this point):
https://learn.adafruit.com/diy-wifi-ras ... m/pi-setup
>Tried with different memory splits (128/256 GPU) via raspi-config

With both memory configurations, I still get this:

mmal: mmal_vc_component_create: failed to create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1:EN                                OMEM)
mmal: mmal_component_create_core: could not create component 'vc.ril.camera' (1)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "cam.py", line 571, in <module>
    camera            = picamera.PiCamera()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py", line 238, in                                 __init__
    self._init_camera()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/picamera/camera.py", line 269, in                                 _init_camera
    prefix="Failed to create camera component")
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/picamera/exc.py", line 102, in mm                                al_check
    }.get(status, "Unknown status error")))
picamera.exc.PiCameraError: Failed to create camera component: Out of memory
I am totally baffled. I mean totally.

adafruit_support_mike

You're getting an ENOMEM error, and those mean the microprocessor can't talk to the camera's SRAM on the image bus.

Triple-check all the connectors to make sure things are seated properly. There are FPC connectors at both ends of the flex cable and the little kapton tab right next to the camera module that makes the module's connection to the PCB.

mypitboss

Post by mypitboss »

There was a point about a week or so ago where I had the ribbon on wrong. I do a lot of swapping cameras and ribbons, and it does happen. But, I've been in the triple-checking mode since then. It's hard to believe I'm always connecting it wrong with both different B+'s and correctly with the B.

But, you are right: it just seems like it has to be a connection problem. I'm brutal to my components. So, I should probably try this on a fresh cam/B+.

adafruit_support_mike

There may also be some kind of OS version issue.. check over in the RasPi Foundation's forums and see if anyone there has heard of such a problem: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

mypitboss

Post by mypitboss »

Good idea. Thank you.

BobRazowski

Post by BobRazowski »

Hello,

It seems that I had the same problem. Did you solve it ?

Impossible to get the PiCam and the TFT 2?8 Capacitive working together..

Regards

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”