PiTFT rear ribbon detached?

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
andr50

PiTFT rear ribbon detached?

Post by andr50 »

Hey Guys,
I just picked up one of the Cupcade kits, and I'm just going over the instructions on building the PiTFT - out of the box (/bag) the ribbon in mine is completely detached from the circuit board (I have board, screen and the two connectors, all loose)

Is there a way to actually push the ribbon into the slot on the back of the board? I gave it a gentle push, but it didn't seem at all like it was going in.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: PiTFT rear ribbon detached?

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Could you post a photo of the hardware as it exists now please?

andr50

Post by andr50 »

I actually took a risk and just shoved the ribbon into the slot.

It took.... way more force than I expected, but it booted up fine, and seems to be working.

egutting

Post by egutting »

There's actually a clip that needs to be raised for the ribbon cable to be attached correctly. (Which is also why it took a lot force to get it in. It's on the opposite side of the connector. You have to lift it up with something small, like a tiny screwdriver or your fingernail. (Be careful not too use too much force). Once it's raised, the ribbon cable should slide in and you can close it back to keep it secure.

andr50

Post by andr50 »

That would have been nice to know (Or even noted) in the build instructions. :/

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

I should have been clearer when asking for the photos.. it sounded like a kitting/packing error and I wanted documentation to show those teams.

WRT the connector, leaving it out of the documentation was kind of a Chekhov's Gun choice: if we tell people something exists, they play with it. The connector and cable aren't made for a large number of connect/disconnect cycles, so talking about the connector in the standard documentation would generate more hardware problems than occur now.

I'm glad to hear that you got it working though.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”