Raspberry Pi B+ USB Ports

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
rrrankin

Raspberry Pi B+ USB Ports

Post by rrrankin »

I purchased a raspberry pi B+ about four weeks ago and have been unable to get the USB ports to function, specifically, a keyboard. I have read many articles and tried to resolve this through trying different power supplies, etc but have had zero success. I am beginning to suspect faulty hardware. Are there any recommendations? Is it possible to get a replacement?

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Raspberry Pi B+ USB Ports

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Keyboards can be a challenge.. some of them want more current than a RasPi's USB ports can provide. The B+ is less sensitive to that kind of problem than the B, but it can still happen.

What do you get from `dmesg | grep usb`?

rrrankin

Post by rrrankin »

Thanks for the reply. I have tried every keyboard I can get my hands on and none of them work. Unfortunately, I cannot type the grep command without a keyboard.

rrrankin

Post by rrrankin »

I've literally tried everything I can possibly try based upon user suggestions and nothing works and at this point I really believe that this board is faulty. It's painful to think that I've paid almost $100 for the Pi and accessories and I'm stuck with a non-functioning brick. Is there any hope for a Pi board exchange?

adafruit_support_mike

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Oh yeah, replacement is always an option. We just want to collect enough information about the failure to get a good guess at the cause.

In this case, since you've tried multiple keyboards, we can do an exchange. Send a note to [email protected] with a link to this thread. The folks there will get a new B+ for you and arrange return shipping for the one you have now so we can test it in our own lab.

rrrankin

Post by rrrankin »

Thank you. I have sent an email to support.

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

The B+ requires the latest version of Raspbian (2014-06-20 or later) for the USB ports and Ethernet to work. So if you've downloaded an older version (or using a card that was pre-burned before that release, or downloaded another operating system that might not have been updated for the B+), fetch the latest-and-shiniest instead.

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”