Touchscreen camera freezes when uploading pictures to Dropbo

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/
ordenrahl

Touchscreen camera freezes when uploading pictures to Dropbo

Post by ordenrahl »

Aloha,

Thank you for putting up such a great tutorial on the Raspberry Pi touchscreen camera. I ordered a few things from your website and am really looking forward to getting this up and running!!!

I elected to use the pre-loaded raspian distribution for the TFT screen created by adafruit as referenced in the tutorial.
I used the directions for setting up dropbox on the pi from http://raspi.tv/2013/how-to-use-dropbox ... spberry-pi as directed in the tutorial on the adafruit website.

If I work from within the console I can upload files from within the Dropbox-Uploader directory using the synax:

Code: Select all

./dropbox_uploader.sh upload home/pi/Photos/IMG_0001.JPG TESTIMG.JPG
which shoots straight into my dropbox as "TESTIMG.JPG" with no problems.

However, I get stuck when using the touchscreen camera program's dropbox function. When trying to take pictures and saving them to dropbox the camera program freezes while the adafruit symbol spins and I have to do a hard reset. If I instead choose to save them to only the Photos folder I'm able to take pictures ok.

I'm stumped. I've double checked my app settings in dropbox and even tried switching (unlinking the app with dropbox-uploader, deleting the app in dropbox and removing the Dropbox-Uploader directory to start fresh) to the "full option" with no luck. I've also played around with different versions of the script directly from the author, all of them working manually but not from the camera interface.

It's a long shot, but I noticed in the comments on the raspi.tv website said:

Code: Select all

./dropbox_uploader.sh upload home/pi/
I saw that a ways down in the comments on the raspi.tv site on Feb. 9th someone stated:
AndrewS says:
February 9, 2014 at 4:43 pm
I’ve just had a look at this myself – looks like the syntax of the script has changed slightly (maybe Alex could add a note to the article above) and the ‘upload’ option now requires a destination filename in Dropbox. I.e. instead of:
./dropbox_uploader.sh upload /home/pi/myfile.jpg
you now need to do:
./dropbox_uploader.sh upload /home/pi/myfile.jpg myfile.jpg
Could it be possible the adafruit's cam.py script not updated to reflect this change? I see that this tutorial was originally published in January (but updated today). Just a shot in the dark.

Any help would be great, Thanks!!

edited for change in topic title

tdicola

Re: Touchscreen camera freezes when uploading pictures to Dr

Post by tdicola »

Hrm, I couldn't reproduce any lockup but I did notice the uploaded pictures were being saved as a file called 'Photos' instead of inside the Photos folder. Like you mention it looks like a path issue with the latest dropbox uploader script. I just pushed a fix to the github repository to specify the full path on dropbox, can you grab the latest code and give it a shot? Can get it at: https://github.com/adafruit/adafruit-pi-cam

Also I would do a fresh install of PiTFT image and Pi camera, just to rule out any conflict with other software. Check out the ready to go PiTFT image from here (or capacitive touch image here).

ordenrahl

Post by ordenrahl »

Aloha tdicola,

Did a fresh install of Adafruit's PiTFT touchscreen raspbian distribution and the python Pi Cam using the new link and it worked! Thank you for the updated file!

tdicola

Post by tdicola »

Oh good to hear that it works for you now, thanks for the followup!

Forum rules
Talk about Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories! Please do not ask for Linux support, this is for Adafruit products only! For Raspberry Pi help please visit: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/

Return to “Adafruit Raspberry Pi® accessories”