I think I damaged my Gemma

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
hendeca

I think I damaged my Gemma

Post by hendeca »

Hello!

I was using the gemma and a 16 LED neopixel ring to create earrings and in the process of soldering I think I may have damaged the gemma's hardware. However, I'm not sure this is the case and I wanted to see if anyone could help me figure out what the problem is!

The gemma was working and had a sketch loaded on it that was performing as expected. The data connection seemed a bit loose so I re-soldered it (I did kind of a sloppy job unfortunately). After that, however I started having strange problems where the power would cut off seemingly randomly until I plugged the battery back in.

I decided just to unsolder everything from the gemma and plug it into my computer to try and reupload the sketch. Now, the green light turns on, but sometimes turns off after a bit and the red light will not light up at all, even after pressing the reset button. I also noticed (not sure if this is normal) that if I put my finger on the VCC pin while it's plugged into the computer, the red LED ever so faintly turns on.

So it seems the bootloader is broken at the very least, but after reading this post, I began to wonder if that was the problem since the symptoms are very different. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

adafruit_support_rick

Re: I think I damaged my Gemma

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Please post clear, detailed pictures of both sides of the Gemma.

hendeca

Post by hendeca »

adafruit_support_rick wrote:Please post clear, detailed pictures of both sides of the Gemma.
Here you go, thanks! As you can see I kinda made a mess of the soldering :\

adafruit_support_rick

I don't really see anything that should cause a problem, except maybe the things pointed out here:
gemma_short.png
gemma_short.png (1.4 MiB) Viewed 389 times
Probably just fuzz, but make sure that those things aren't wisps of solder that are causing a short circuit.

How long ago did you buy this Gemma?

hendeca

Post by hendeca »

I'm sorry for the (very) late reply! I got this gemma maybe two months ago. I've since tried repairing the bootloader, but I get the following console output error:

Code: Select all

Tt loader!

Type 'G' or hit BUTTON for next chip

Trinket loader!

Type 'G' or hit BUTTON for next chip
Starting Program Mode [OK]

Reading signature:930B
Searching for image...
  Found "blankfull.hex" for attiny85

Setting fuses  Set Low Fuse to: F1 -> A000  Set High Fuse to: D5 -> A800  Set Ext Fuse to: 6 -> A400
Verifying fuses...
	Low Fuse: 0xF1 is 0xF1
	High Fuse: 0xD5 is 0xD5
	Ext Fuse: 0x6 is 0x6

Setting fuses

Verifing flash...
verification error at ad
Any idea what would cause this? I'm using an Arduino Uno and sending the character 'G' on the serial port as instructed. Thanks for your help!

adafruit_support_rick

Let's replace the Gemma. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”