Flora motion detector

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chinablue

Flora motion detector

Post by chinablue »

Is there a close range motion detector that can be used with the Flora and e-textile LEDs? If not are you planning to develop one?
Thankx.
China Blue

adafruit_support_mike

Re: Flora motion detector

Post by adafruit_support_mike »

Motion detection is a broad subject, so you'll need to narrow down the options before we can give you a meaningful answer. We have PIR sensors that work to a range of about 7m, proximity sensors that work to a range of about 20cm, and all sorts of things in between.

If you're thinking about putting a motion sensor in a wearable project, that adds another layer of complexity. Most motion sensors are designed around the assumption that they're connected to a stationary object.

chinablue

Post by chinablue »

Yes, I am aware of the PIRs but their range is way to wide and deep. What I had in mind is a very close range detector that is small scale and is mounted on a circuit board that would compliment the size of the e-textile LEDs. What I would like to accomplish is to have hand motion turn the LEDs that are blinking in a pattern on a skirt, off for a period of time then the LEDs turn back on. I suspect the width of the range sensor in this application must also be narrow so that the motion of the fabric does not trigger the sensor.
Thanks for any thoughts on the topic.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

There are IR sensors that work at fairly short range. But they are probably a bit too clunky for what you want.

We do have a proximity sensor that has a fairly flat form factor: http://www.adafruit.com/products/466

Another possibility is to use one of the capacitive touch sensors with conductive thread or fabric as the receptor.
http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... uch+sensor
I haven't experimented with these much yet, but some capacitive touch sensors can be tuned so that they work at a small distance and can be triggered without actual physical contact.

I'm going to move this topic to the "Wearables" forum where it will get seen by our wearables experts.

chinablue

Post by chinablue »

Thanks Bill, I will look into those.

bekathwia

Post by bekathwia »

You can try to adjust the sensitivity of the code for this project to trigger without actually touching (just being nearby): http://learn.adafruit.com/capacitive-to ... -and-flora

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”