I would like to make an LED costume with yr neo pixels

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
gdgarced

I would like to make an LED costume with yr neo pixels

Post by gdgarced »

I was looking at your blog a few days ago and came across the Little Boots LED dress and I was wondering if those were your RGBs that designer Wu had on the table? I have not seen any white ones like that. what were those strips that she said you could solder to the LEDs, i have not seen anything like that? I would like to do something like this, do you have the supplies do do this but for a costume? I would like my project portable. How does that little processor and sd card reader work and how does she have wires from the LEDs to the processor? I also would love to use this at a party with music, so this post on yr blog is something that i have wanted to do but not being able to find the supplies. could you share, I also hope you make a tutorial for this. Also, will i need software to create the light show or animation to upload on to the sd card reader? I know that the designer tries to explain how she did it, but it still left me confused. Thanks

bekathwia

Re: I would like to make an LED costume with yr neo pixels

Post by bekathwia »

Could you post a link to the blog post? None of the things you mentioned are ringing a bell, and we blog so many projects... =D

michaelmeissner

Post by michaelmeissner »

Using google, for little boots led dress, I see this video that I recall seeing a few days ago:
http://uniquedaily.com/2013/11/little-b ... led-dress/

Though I think the title is incorrect, as it is no longer a reactive led dress, but that is a minor nit. It is a very cool dress.

The techie in me wonders what is the processor that driving the dress LEDS in the SD card case, and also what the run time would be for that battery.

gdgarced

Post by gdgarced »

Hi Becky, I see someone has posted the info from your blog. I really like those white RGB LEDs and i thought they were Adafruit's since they have tiny round single RGBs. I would love for you to do a wearable tutorial on something like this. I found it,
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/?s=little+boots+led+dress

gdgarced

Post by gdgarced »

I think I have found something that matches those RGBs in white. Thanks anyway. Hope to see a video or tutorial on how she did this dress.

bekathwia

Post by bekathwia »

We only offer FLORA NeoPixels on a black PCB, white PCBs would become yellowed in our solder reflow oven. You can indeed use FLORA NeoPixels for a dress like this, and the tutorial would look a lot like the sparkle skirt, chameleon scarf, and other projects that use a strand of sewn neopixels. It's the software that's incredible about this dress, I've got no idea what's in that SD-card box. We post a lot of projects on the blog that inspire us!

michaelmeissner

In terms of the SD-box, I assume it is just a simple micro processor that reads from the card and writes the appropriate patterns, sort of like a player piano. I would imagine the real smarts are in the program they used on the PC. Given the way it was portrayed, I imagine it was something that samples from the song, based on the current notes and volume.

gdgarced

Post by gdgarced »

Michael, thank you for the information. I have been researching this since i saw it, any info is appreciated.

michaelmeissner

How it is done is just speculation on my part.

However, doing a google search for sd card led programmer resulted in a number of hits with some youtube videos, and some products from various Chinese manufacturers. Here is one that the unit looks like the one in the video: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shi ... 87515.html

pburgess

Post by pburgess »

Some of the LED manufacturers make these little SD card LED sequencer/player box thingies. I don't think there's any plans for us to carry them, preferring instead DIY / open source / tool oriented products. If you're patient, I'm working on an SD-to-NeoPixel project for the Adafruit Learning System right now. It won't be a ready-made solution to your problem, but with some ingenuity could be adapted to do similar types of things (or maybe even better, since the code and hardware can be changed).

gdgarced

Post by gdgarced »

Thank you for this info. Yes let me know when your items are made. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

gdgarced

Post by gdgarced »

Michael, thank you for the link! I did see that but, i didn't think that was it. I also found another one, with the same software that i think she used but, they had it with a fixable matrix, maybe they did'nt use that matrix, but used the software to control the lights, Just a guess.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”