Feasibility of Wearable Corset-Harp?

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Lith

Feasibility of Wearable Corset-Harp?

Post by Lith »

*crosses fingers and hopes this is the right place to post on the forum*

Hi,

I want to make a corset that the wearer can play as a musical instrument. Preferably with different switches that play different notes, which aren't tone/beep sounds (so I'm guessing a wav file assigned to each switch). And preferably with the ability to play notes simultaneously.

Because it's a corset, I'm guessing that fabric pressure switches aren't going to work (because there will be quite a bit of pressure on the fabric at all times.)

What I'd really like is lines of conductive cord on the outside of the corset, that play when touched. I've seen instructables on how to make electronic music through clothes that have patches of conductive material, or sewn conductive thread, that when touched makes a noise. I'm not at all sure though if what I want to do is feasible. Although I've just seen the conductive rubber cord stretch sensor and it's made me wonder if I could use that as the 'strings', and if the volume of the note could increase with the force that someone plucks it - since the cord can sense how much it is being stretched? (Or would plucking not create enough stretch? keeping it in place shouldn't be a problem as corset material is very sturdy, doesn't stretch or move on the skin. Or perhaps you couldn't use the stretch as a switch for sound and volume simultaneously?)

I'm not asking for anyone to design it for me (although come on, that would be amazing), but could someone please let me know if it's worth hunting around for the solution? Or point me in the right direction?

I'm new to electronics, but I've been doing some research. (And my boyfriend is into coding, so he could help me on that front.) So far I've found out that I couldn't use the lilypad mp3 player because of the delay in timing due to it having to skip tracks, and also because it doesn't allow tracks to play simultaneously. (I've thought about using multiple mp3 players, but it would be bulky and expensive. Especially because I want 8 'strings'.) I'm wondering if using a conductive cord will work as a switch, if the rubber one doesn't, but I thought it might because it looks like the same principle as using conductive material as a switch (which is what the instructable clothes seem to be doing). I'm also wondering if I'd need to make some gloves to complete the circuit.

Should I change my project massively and save myself the headache?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. (And sorry if I sound like a dunce who hasn't done her homework. I've been clicking around the internet for days and days and I've just been getting more confused.)

p.s. for anyone interested in the details, I've been thinking about creating hollow hip extensions to house wearable speakers...in order to give a better sound, and also perhaps to house most of the electronics, because they might be uncomfortable for the wearer if hidden between the fabric of the actual corset itself because it will be tight against the skin. I could draw a picture of all of this if you'd like me to. And thankyou for reading this far :D

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Feasibility of Wearable Corset-Harp?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

[ Moving to "Wearables" forum ]

Sounds like a good application for capacitive touch sensors.
We have several breakout boards for this: http://www.adafruit.com/index.php?main_ ... tive+touch
And several project tutorials: http://learn.adafruit.com/search?q=capacitive+touch

Lith

Post by Lith »

I posted it on wearables first but then I got worried and deleted it. Sorry for the inconvenience, and thankyou for the links :D

Lith

Post by Lith »

I'm starting to think that using conductive thread/wire for the strings with a touch sensor isn't going to work because it won't be durable enough. A big chunk of it is going to stay exposed (and standing out from the fabric slightly, rather than being stitched in), and I'm worried about fray and breaking. I'm also thinking that I won't be able to get a wire thick enough. (I looked at this http://www.instructables.com/id/Conduct ... d-Wind-up/ but the results don't look as smooth as I would like.)

As for the conductive rubber cord stretch sensor, after looking around it seems really hard to build something into clothing to read the resistance of the cord...plus I'm wondering how long it will take before it stops snapping back to it's original length.

All annoying because I wanted it to feel and look like an instrument, with the switches feeling more like the action of playing a guitar or a harp.

Maybe the next step is to do something like this instead for the switches. http://www.kobakant.at/DIY/?p=2331 It'd probably be easier!

adafruit_support_bill

The finish quality of the wind-up method will depend on the quality of the thread you start with. We've seen big variations in the smoothness of threads from various sources. Becky Stern is a perfectionist regarding things like that so the thread we carry is the best she could find.

The BANNED technique looks pretty cool. I imagine they must be using some very high quality thread too to run it in a machine.

Other options would include lightweight cable, or even actual instrument strings.

Capacitive touch may not work so well for a corset, since the capacitance of the body will overwhelm any capacitance from your fingers. But you could probably detect touches through the conductivity of your skin. Measuring force is a bit more difficult. Accelerometers could work, but would be expensive if you have a lot of strings. Piezo elements would be less expensive, but somewhat trickier to interface. How many strings do you plan to have? If you can post a sketch, we might be able to come up with some more options.

Lith

Post by Lith »

adafruit_support_bill wrote: Becky Stern is a perfectionist regarding things like that so the thread we carry is the best she could find.
Oh it might be a good option then. I was thinking that since the corset is curved around the body, and if I use some kind of cord, I'd need to sew a little loop every so often down the length of them in order to keep them in place, but I'd have to test that on a prototype. If that's the case, I'd need to make it touch-switches instead. I might need to reposition the strings anyway. I'm sure the project will change a lot by the time it's finished. Although if the strings are raised, I might not need to tie them in position down the length of them...I'm thinking, depending on the cord used...maybe D-rings (if I can find some small enough and conductive) or conductive snap fastenings...will have to experiment. I could make the cut of the corset dip in at the front-waist, which could help raise the strings.
adafruit_support_bill wrote:Other options would include lightweight cable, or even actual instrument strings.

I did a quick google search to see if guitar strings were conductive, but I'll have a look to see if any others are. Whilst hunting for that, I found an instructable for an arduino string instrument that uses 30 AWG wire, so that might be doable. It looks thick enough. (The instructable instrument has conductive fabric tape underneath the strings to connect the circuit though...so not what I'm looking for.)
adafruit_support_bill wrote:Capacitive touch may not work so well for a corset, since the capacitance of the body will overwhelm any capacitance from your fingers.
I was wondering about that. I was thinking that I could include a layer underneath all the tech. Some corsets have three layers anyway...it's just more of a pain the more layers you have to make. I could make the layer underneath coutil, which is pretty thick and dense, so that may be enough of a barrier? Plus a top might be worn underneath the corset too.
adafruit_support_bill wrote:Accelerometers could work, but would be expensive if you have a lot of strings. Piezo elements would be less expensive, but somewhat trickier to interface. How many strings do you plan to have? If you can post a sketch, we might be able to come up with some more options.
The plan is 8 strings for an octave, but I was wondering if perhaps I could have one or two strings that could play a chord as an accompaniment for underneath a melody. (In for a penny, in for a pound :mrgreen:) I've attached a diagram of what I have in mind. (It's an underbust, so the strings won't have to navigate too many contours!) The hip extensions you can see on it would be hollow, which could be useful. I was thinking of adding little speakers to them.

I'm having trouble finding a small enough soft-circuit music player or something that would play 8 tracks at once if needed. Otherwise it will probably be a beast to program/design.
Attachments
corsetharp2.jpg
corsetharp2.jpg (18.7 KiB) Viewed 603 times

Lith

Post by Lith »

I'm slowly working my way through online electronics tutorials, so I can eventually understand how to build this type of circuit, and what sort of components are needed. Just wanted to apologise for sounding ignorant...I am trying to educate myself. And thankyou so much for the help.

adafruit_support_bill

Steel guitar strings would be conductive. Another thing to consider would be bicycle brake or derailleur cables.

With a 12" wire as a sensor, the capacitive touch sensors can detect a finger from an inch or more away, so even extra padding would not help. I don't think capacitive touch is going to work well for a corset.
ck.
I'm having trouble finding a small enough soft-circuit music player or something that would play 8 tracks at once if needed.
Have you considered using MIDI? This is how most electronic keyboards and drum-synthesizers work. You program in a sound for each string and send it a signal whenever one is plucked.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1381

adafruit_support_bill

We just added these to the store: http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2014/03/28 ... t-w-wires/
They are low-profile and fairly inexpensive.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”