gemma project partial ring not working

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
miguelj

gemma project partial ring not working

Post by miguelj »

I am putting together a set of neopixel rings controlled by a gemma.I am using the 24 neopixel ring, the 16 neopixel ring, and a single flora neopixel. The are wired for the gemma ground to 24 ring gnd, to 16 ring gnd, to flora, gnd. D1 to 24 ring data input to 16 ring input, to single flora arrow pointing in, V out to 24 ring 5v power, to 16 ring, 5v, to flora positive. I used the superhero code form the iron man link on the website. I have powered the device both from USB and from 3 AAA via JST, with the same result. 7 neopixels do not light up on the 24 neopixel ring. Looking at the back of the 24 neopixel ring these 7 are 1 before data out plus 6 more going clockwise toward power 5+. I don't know if there is a limit to what gemma can power or if something i have done may have burned those specific 7 out somehow. Everything else seems to be working fine.

Thanks

adafruit_support_rick

Re: gemma project partial ring not working

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

michaelk77 wrote:D1 to 24 ring data input to 16 ring input, to single flora arrow pointing in
I'm not following this part. Do you have D1 to 24 ring data in, then 24 ring data out to 16 ring data in, then 16 ring data out to pixel data in?

miguelj

Post by miguelj »

Thanks for the resonse. I have wired from D1 on the gemma, to data input in the 24 pixel ring, from the 24 pixel ring input to the 16 pixel ring data input to the flora input (arrow in). They are in series if that explains it better.

adafruit_support_rick

No. You have to daisy-chain them. The output of the 24 ring goes to the input on the 16 ring, and the output of the 16 ring goes to the input on the pixel.

miguelj

Post by miguelj »

I never tested the 24 neopixel ring by itself that has 7 neopixels not working now. Is it likely I caused this by joining the three units together in series or is this part defective and I should return it? I have disconnected the 16 neopixel ring and the single flora from the larger 24 neopixel ring.and the 7 neopixels that were not working are still not working. Thanks for all your help thus far.

adafruit_support_rick

Connecting them the way you did shouldn't damage them. Please email [email protected] with a link to this thread for a replacement 24-pixel ring.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”