Arduino 1.5.7 can see GEMMA, but compilation errors

Wearable electronics: boards, conductive materials, and projects from Adafruit!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lovingboth

Arduino 1.5.7 can see GEMMA, but compilation errors

Post by lovingboth »

Following the instructions elsewhere and installing Trinket into arduino-1.5.7/hardware/arduino/Trinket/ and avrdude.conf into arduino-1.5.7/hardware/tools/avr/etc

.. I can start the Arduino IDE and have it know that a GEMMA board is attached. (The Port option is greyed out, but it looks like this is normal.)

When I try to compile the minimal program, it gives a couple of warnings and then comes up with some compiler errors:

Code: Select all

ian:~/arduino-1.5.7$ ./arduino 
Board arduino:Trinket:trinket3 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: TRINKET_TRINKET3
Board arduino:Trinket:trinket5 doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: TRINKET_TRINKET5
Board arduino:Trinket:gemma doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: TRINKET_GEMMA
Board arduino:Trinket:Trinket doesn't define a 'build.board' preference. Auto-set to: TRINKET_TRINKET
Third-party platform.txt does not define compiler.path. Please report this to the third-party hardware maintainer.
/home/ian/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/arduino/Trinket/cores/arduino/WString.cpp: In member function 'String& String::copy(const __FlashStringHelper*, unsigned int)':
/home/ian/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/arduino/Trinket/cores/arduino/WString.cpp:189:26: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
  strcpy_P(buffer, (const prog_char *)pstr);
                          ^
/home/ian/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/arduino/Trinket/cores/arduino/WString.cpp:189:26: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
/home/ian/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/arduino/Trinket/cores/arduino/WString.cpp:189:20: error: expected primary-expression before 'const'
  strcpy_P(buffer, (const prog_char *)pstr);
                    ^
/home/ian/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/arduino/Trinket/cores/arduino/WString.cpp:189:20: error: expected ')' before 'const'
/home/ian/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/arduino/Trinket/cores/arduino/WString.cpp: In member function 'String& String::operator=(const __FlashStringHelper*)':
/home/ian/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/arduino/Trinket/cores/arduino/WString.cpp:249:39: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
  if (pstr) copy(pstr, strlen_P((const prog_char *)pstr));
                                       ^
/home/ian/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/arduino/Trinket/cores/arduino/WString.cpp:249:39: error: ISO C++ forbids declaration of 'type name' with no type [-fpermissive]
/home/ian/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/arduino/Trinket/cores/arduino/WString.cpp:249:33: error: expected primary-expression before 'const'
  if (pstr) copy(pstr, strlen_P((const prog_char *)pstr));
                                 ^
/home/ian/arduino-1.5.7/hardware/arduino/Trinket/cores/arduino/WString.cpp:249:33: error: expected ')' before 'const'
.. did something change with the compiler between 1.5.6 - which I can see people have got to work - and 1.5.7?

As might be guessed from the paths, I am using Linux (specifically Lubuntu 14.04) so using one of the 'we've hacked this so it works' IDEs isn't an option.

adafruit_support_rick

Re: Arduino 1.5.7 can see GEMMA, but compilation errors

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

We don't support modification of 1.5.7 for Trinket, so I really don't know what's going on with it. Sorry. If it worked for 1.5.6, then clearly something has changed with 1.5.7.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Wearables”