Another avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x178

by DariusCorvo on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:03 am

Hiya,

I just got my first two trinkets and I cannot get either working.

I read the tutorial and went though it twice with no success. Even re-installed Arduino IDE and I am still getting:
avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0x1781/0xc9f)

I tried fixing the bootloader with an Arduino Uno which looked like it did the right thing, but still nothing.

I press the button on the trinket and hear the windows disconnect sounds, then the reconnect sounds. I try to upload using the IDE and it says its done uploading but then I get the error at the bottom.

I am on Win7, have not had problems with my other Arduinos and now don't know what to do.

I am planning on using the trinket in my Halloween costume on Thursday so please help soon!

Thanks!
Attachments
Capture.PNG
IDE
Capture.PNG (30.4 KiB) Viewed 170 times
DariusCorvo

Re: Another avrdude: Error: Could not find USBtiny device (0

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:07 am

That seems to be a timing thing. The Windows Device Manager's tendency to open and close the interface when the chip reboots means you have to press the Trinket's button at just the right moment.

It seems to take some experimentation, but you want the reloading sound to occur just before the Arduino IDE is done compiling the code. Some people say to press the Trinket's reset button just before you hit the 'Upload' button in the IDE, others have had success pressing 'Upload' then pressing the reset button.
When you void a product warranty, you give up your right to sue the manufacturer if something goes wrong and accept full responsibility for whatever happens next. And then you truly own the product.
adafruit_support_mike

by DariusCorvo on Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Still no luck, been trying button pressing and uploading in every order for 10 minutes.

I am going to try to boot into Ubuntu and see if that helps.
DariusCorvo

by thekitty on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:40 pm

You loaded the USBtinyISP device driver OK and set it in the tools-> programmer menu item?
thekitty

by DariusCorvo on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:59 pm

Yup I set the device driver and still no luck. I also just tried uploading it on Ubuntu and another Windows 7 machine.

Any other tips? I am next going to try to video my attempt and see if I am doing something wrong.
DariusCorvo

by DariusCorvo on Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi guys, I uploaded me failing to upload to the Trinket here:
http://youtu.be/imSW2Jz5uys
If you have any idea what I am doing wrong, please please please let me know. I really want to get this working by Thursday for my costume.
Thanks!
DariusCorvo

by DariusCorvo on Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:26 pm

Turns out it WAS a driver thing. I uninstalled, deleted the driver, SWITCHED USB PORTS, then reinstalled the 64 bit driver one more time. Now it seems to work.

Thanks for reading this page and I hope it helps others!
DariusCorvo