3v Pro Trinket and SoftwareSerial Error

Adafruit's tiny microcontroller platform. Please tell us which board you are using.
For CircuitPython issues, ask in the Adafruit CircuitPython forum.

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
deneh

3v Pro Trinket and SoftwareSerial Error

Post by deneh »

I was finalizing my new GPS project and purchased a 3 volt Pro Trinket to utilize with it because of the power requirements. After BANNED testing with an Arduino Uno, I was ready to use my Pro Trinket. Lo and behold I was getting this error;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries\SoftwareSerial\SoftwareSerial.cpp:128:2: error: #error This version of SoftwareSerial supports only 20, 16 and 8MHz processors.

Since the 3V Pro Trinket operates at 12Mhz is there a workaround for this..or do I have to buy a 5 volt version to get it to work and change my battery requirements?

SeiRruf

Re: 3v Pro Trinket and SoftwareSerial Error

Post by SeiRruf »

I have not been able to test this myself, but another member of our forum has a similar issue.

They mentioned using this fix.
Scroll down to the bottom and start reading at "So in order to use the SoftwareSerial library go.."
http://fuzz4dev.BANNED.com/tag/12mhz/

Be sure to restart your Arduino IDE once you successfully edit and save the SoftwareSerial.h file.

I am curious if this helps, so please do keep us updated!

deneh

Post by deneh »

I will try that! i forgot to mention that I was using the 3 volt Pro Trinket with a Adafruit Ultimate GPS Breakout and that is why I needed the SoftwareSerial library.

Hope this works...later

deneh

Post by deneh »

Okay, here is the scoop...IT WORKS!
I modified the SoftwareSerial.cpp as directed in the instructions provided and recompiled it. It worked first rate! I am using a heavily modified sketch from Jeremy Saglimbeni's "Smalls Tiny GPS" project with all Adafruit parts. I was especially happy with the Pro Trinket as it fits the bill very nicely.
Parts used:
3 volt Pro Trinket
Ultimate GPS Breakout
SSD1306 OLED

I included a pic of the working prototype
Thanks for the help :)
Attachments
TrinketGPS.JPG
TrinketGPS.JPG (541.72 KiB) Viewed 258 times

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Trinket ATTiny, Trinket M0”