x0xb0x and the tr-606

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
baldwin

x0xb0x and the tr-606

Post by baldwin »

Whats up everyone. So I have a 606 and am about to pull the trigger on a x0xb0x, but I was hoping I would be able to hook them up and have the 606 sequence the x0x or the x0x sequece the 606. I tried the search. This is my first time on here and I am absolutely excited to make some music! Thanks peeps! :D

phono

Re: x0xb0x and the tr-606

Post by phono »

you cant sequence them either way, since the 606 only has trigger outs and the x0x only has cv/gate outs.

however you can sync them perfectly either way, youll need a din sync cable, thats the same as a midi cable but with all 5 wires conencted (some midi cables have these and some not, use a multimeter to check if you are unsure of your cables, since midi only requires 3 wires connected and some cables only have 3 wires and these type will not work)

connect the sync cable to sync on the 606 and dinsync on the x0x
then to have the 606 as master clock set the sync input/output switch on the 606 to output and set the x0x mode to din sync.
If you want to have the x0x as master clock set the sync input/output switch on the 606 to input and set the x0x mode to sync out.

mike oxford

Post by mike oxford »

Hi,
is it possible to sync and sequence the Xoxbox from my DAW (Logic) AND AT THE SAME TIME send din-sync to my TR606?
I would like to use Logic sequencer for sequencing Note ON/OFF on the Xoxbox, but at the same time send clock to the TR606.
Until now I've only been able to do one of the 2 options.

I'll try to explain myself better...

I want to use Logic's sequencer to send Midi NOTE ON/OFF to Xoxbox and need the Xoxbox to send clock to TR606 via Dinsync...
somehow when I use the "Midi play" mode, the sequence from Logic gets played well on Xoxbox, but Xoxbox does not send Dinsync clock to TR606 :(
If I try other modes like "Pattern MIDI Sync", Xoxbox sends Dinsync Clock to TR606, but does not play my sequence from Logic.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help :)

antto

Post by antto »

in MidiPlay mode the x0xb0x doesn't use midisync, only noteON/OFFs so it won't be doing convertion to dinsync
use MIDISYNC mode which should output dinsync as expected..

mike oxford

Post by mike oxford »

Thanks, but...
If I use "Pattern MIDI Sync", Xoxbox sends Dinsync Clock to TR606, but does not play my sequence from Logic.

mike oxford

Post by mike oxford »

If I use "Track MIDI Sync", same thing. Xoxbox sends Dinsync Clock to TR606, but does not play my sequence from Logic :(

antto

Post by antto »

yes. that's how it is

get a midi-to-dinsync converter
connect midi from PC to the x0xb0x and to the converter
connect the dinsync output from the converter to the 606

mike oxford

Post by mike oxford »

Wow,
So there is no way to do it?
That really sucks...
I do have a KENTON Pro Solo MK2, (which also has a dinsync output) but it's been already used for other analogue gear :(
There has to be a way to do it... I don't think it would be too difficult for Xoxbox to receive MIDI NoteON/OFF AND Clock from Logic...
Maybe a Sokkos mod?

mike oxford

Post by mike oxford »

Sorry man, but the idea of getting another MIDI to DINSYNC converter defeats the whole purpose of using XOXBOX AS THE MIDI TO DINSYNC CONVERTER THAT IT IS.
I mean, the requiered hardware is there already...
There has to be a way.
Anyone else?

antto

Post by antto »

if you want it to act as a converter - you have to use midisync mode, which means "no input midi notes" and "use the x0xb0x sequencer"

and yes, there IS a way to do what you need, but it will require a firmware mod, which you can do yourself if you have some C programming knowlage
get the x0x firmware source code, find the MidiPlay code (which reacts to midi notes) and merge it with PatternPlay (midisync mode)

mike oxford

Post by mike oxford »

Thanks man, good advice.
I appreciate your help :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”