offset delay in midisync problem

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
3phase

offset delay in midisync problem

Post by 3phase »

Hello,

the allmost 20 ms offset delay of the xoxbox when its in midisync starts to gets a bit limiting or me..

are there any alternativ OS out there that have a faster response to midi sync or an adjustable delay?
greets
sven

hamburgers

Re: offset delay in midisync problem

Post by hamburgers »

3phase wrote:Hello,

the allmost 20 ms offset delay of the xoxbox when its in midisync starts to gets a bit limiting or me..

are there any alternativ OS out there that have a faster response to midi sync or an adjustable delay?
greets
sven

i've never had this problem

Post by guest »

there was a firmware bug in the first few runs of x0xen
that had a smiliar midi problem
what version do you have

3phase

Post by 3phase »

i ve a recent selfsourced xox..and i checked other os versions now..they are all very late in the midisync..what is probably intentional..

phono

Post by phono »

i dont have this problem, im running two x0x one on din and one on midi. what seq are you using? if its ableton i would bet thats the cause since it has problems with midi clock. either way id try to look at the other factors as well as the x0x itself.

3phase

Post by 3phase »

it has nothing to do with the sequenzer..

I checked against the other machines on the same master clock... and relativ to my G2 the xox is 806 samples later with the standard os and 860 samples later with the sokos

I recorded short 16th notes of the xox on the left track and short notes of the G2 on the wright and you easily see in the waveform editor the timing offset..
Which is in case of my xox quie extrem. So extrem that it looks intentional again..but is it?

So question..

are all xox this late ? or has only my machine a problem?

One thing is that almost 20 ms delay is so late that it starts to sound good again for certain styles..

so its maybe intentional? and a fixed offset that might be changed in the OS? Or do i have an exotic problem?

phono

Post by phono »

3phase wrote:it has nothing to do with the sequenzer..

I checked against the other machines on the same master clock... and relativ to my G2 the xox is 806 samples later with the standard os and 860 samples later with the sokos

i wouldnt be so sure about that, since the g2 is a synth its not listening to midi clock but midi notes, what seq are you using? honestly if its ableton thats most likely the problem

Post by guest »

i just tested my x0x with an sbx-10
there is a 10ms delay from run start
and a 5ms delay from note on

the run start delay is due to the sbx-10
have a 5ms delay after start control message
to first tempo note message

i measured from midi note recieved to gate high
so there is also a bit of delay on the envelope
which isnt accounted for here
but that shouldnt me more than 2ms

3phase

Post by 3phase »

The clavia g2 aswell as the old nord modular is one of the bes sythns regarding response to mdiclock and there for a good timing refference..

a kenton midi retrofit 808 or a akai mpc 3000 would be good refferences too... but also modern mpc´s are not bad...

Can please some others do a test? Do we have a timimng shift now? is it 10 ms? or 20 ms?

And is this related to a fixed offset in the os that might be easily altered? that the xox dont has a late timing when beeing clockmaster points in that direction

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

There is no intentional delay in the firmware.

Guests post clearly states the delay to be 5ms.

I have personally never had a problem with any type of syncing with the x0xb0x.

Note that there is a big difference in a synth responding to midi vs midi clock. Some software sequencers have problems with sending midi clock but have no problems in sending midi note on.

Do you get the same delay if you set your x0xb0x to MIDI mode and send it midi notes as if you send it midi clock and sync it?

How did you synchronize the G1 to midi clock, or did you send it midi notes(big difference)?

phono

Post by phono »

Sokkan wrote:There is no intentional delay in the firmware.

Guests post clearly states the delay to be 5ms.

I have personally never had a problem with any type of syncing with the x0xb0x.

Note that there is a big difference in a synth responding to midi vs midi clock. Some software sequencers have problems with sending midi clock but have no problems in sending midi note on.

Do you get the same delay if you set your x0xb0x to MIDI mode and send it midi notes as if you send it midi clock and sync it?

How did you synchronize the G1 to midi clock, or did you send it midi notes(big difference)?
its not the computer sequencer :lol: :lol: :lol:

(sorry couldn't resist)

3phase

Post by 3phase »

i just feed the same and stable midiclock from my machine drum to the G2 and the xox...and my xox is very late..

The G2 has internal sequencers.. i played a test sequenz of 16th notes with very short envelopes..
and had the same on the xox... the xox is very late... 806 samples... but i have to amit that i accendenly might have been on 88k rec frequency..than it would be 9 ms...
i will check again later to be sure...

antto

Post by antto »

according to MIDI specifications
the midisync source should send MIDI_START message which tells all machines to prepare to start
but the actual start is on the very NEXT MIDI_CLOCK message

i don't have any gear, but i found out my DAW sends crappy sync messages (they are not how they should be)
so i'm now using my own VST midi clock generator..

in any case..
to test if the latency is due to the MIDI_CLOCK counting in the x0x, do the following
sync the x0x to the clock source.. (if it's a drum machine or something)
slow the tempo down.. really low.. like 5BPM
there you should be able to tell if it's normal latency (a bunch of milliseconds) or really a synchronization issue due to incorrect clock counting

rv0

Post by rv0 »

use dinsync, experience 0 delay, yay :D

Palmer3

Post by Palmer3 »

i've never had this problemImage

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”