Updating Firmware issues....

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
wonkyfunk303

Updating Firmware issues....

Post by wonkyfunk303 »

right so i wanted to put the new 303 mod on my x0x but it wont allow me to connect to my box in bootload mode.

followed the manual to the step. i either get all the leds lit up on the x0x or nothing at all and it wont let me connect to the control software. mega frustration. it connects in all other modes but it wont allow me upload a new firmware.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..

wonkyfunk303

Re: Updating Firmware issues....

Post by wonkyfunk303 »

ok so an interesting development. it shows as being found on comm 3 (when its installed on comm 5). as soon as i go to upload though, it just drops the connection and wont find it after that.....

wonkyfunk303

Post by wonkyfunk303 »

well i still cant get it to work. Ive tried everything and it just wont let me upload via c0ntr0l!! being a relative n00b but with some basic computer knowledge, is there a work around?? i would really like the n0nx0x firmware to try but im getting nowhere at the mo, any help would be greatly apprieciated!

jamie

antto

Post by antto »

i'm assuming you're runnning Windows..
and this is from the back of my memory, i might be wrong..
you should:
1. Get the USB-SerialPort driver, install it somewhere
2. Plug the x0xb0x in the USB of the PC.
3. Switch the x0xb0x ON.
windows should detect a new USB Device, use the USB-SerialPort drivers for it
whenever windows requires a reboot - reboot it..
4. Open your device manager.
whenever you switch the x0xb0x ON - the USB-SerialPort device should show up in there.
once this is working, you have to configure the USB-SerialPort settings, the defaults don't work.
5. Get c0ntr0l, install it run it.
6. Set the Port in control the same as the port you set in the USB-SerialPort settings...

now the actual firmware update:
the USB cable should already be connected, seems there's no reason to remove it at all
1. turn OFF the x0xb0x
2. swith to BOOTLOAD mode
3. turn the x0xb0x ON
4. in c0ntr0l - press Upload Firmware, select the .hex file and watch the status bar
once ready - turn OFF the x0xb0x set the FUNCTION switch to something else, turn-ON.

if this still doesn't help - :?

Luap

Post by Luap »

It can be a pain.. Often my x0xb0xes don't appear to connect properly at all. But try to upload the firmware anyway, and eventually it appears to work regardless.

wonkyfunk303

Post by wonkyfunk303 »

YAY!!!! I finally got it to work!! Went into the COMM settings and changed it to port 1 and then went into advanced settings and put it slower (baud 9600 i believe) I lowered everything also put something down to 8 (from 16), plugged in and voila! straight away it worked!

thanks for all your help guys, now i gotta punch a new layout overlay........ and re-learn all the stuff again...!! lol but it will be worth it! (just for the time-mode).

Great Stuff and once again, thanks everyone for your help! -- syncing to fl to suss now then im there.....

Luap

Post by Luap »

It sounds like you got the plumbing right :) But generally DAW's like Logic or BANNED etc don't send midi clock until you tell them to. They probably do send start/stop commands though, which im guessing your x0xb0x is responding to. But the tempo's still won't be synced.
So hunt around in your software settings to make sure you are sending midi clock to the port your x0xb0x is connected to, and set the x0x to pattern midi sync mode. The x0x will start stop and sync with your software then. Or should!

Thats how it works for stock and sokkos firmware. Hopefully n0nx0x is the same.

antto

Post by antto »

i'm afraid to say that the n0nx0x developer (whoever he is :roll: ) is like a blind guy developing colored sunglasses :twisted:

wonkyfunk303

Post by wonkyfunk303 »

Cool well all seems cool! One thing I've noticed is that when I put sokkos back on, LEDs 12 to 16 no longer light up during pattern edit!! Any ideas???

Luap

Post by Luap »

I've had the occasional glitch like that, that were fixed by reflashing the firmware. Can't hurt to try it.

uncle monty

Post by uncle monty »

wonkyfunk303 wrote:YAY!!!! I finally got it to work!! Went into the COMM settings and changed it to port 1 and then went into advanced settings and put it slower (baud 9600 i believe) I lowered everything also put something down to 8 (from 16), plugged in and voila! straight away it worked!

thanks for all your help guys, now i gotta punch a new layout overlay........ and re-learn all the stuff again...!! lol but it will be worth it! (just for the time-mode).

Great Stuff and once again, thanks everyone for your help! -- syncing to fl to suss now then im there.....
I couldn't connect either but using the information above I can confirm that it is the "Latency Timer" setting that needs to be taken down to 8 from 16. I didn't have to change the COM Port from COM4 though, and the baud rate appears to be immaterial once you adjust the latency.

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ »

Not working for me :(

I downloaded another version of COntrol, and while it connects when in normal play modes, once the X0XB0X is in bootload, it won't connect... sigh no firmware updates for me I guess :?

Windows 7 64 bit here

edit - it seems that it worked when I just reboot the unit in Bootload mode, and don't bother selecting connect, just go straight to upload firmware

antto

Post by antto »

erm, you don't "connect to x0xb0x"
i think i already said it:
1) x0xb0x OFF (power OFF)
2) switch to BootLoad mode
3) x0xb0x ON (power ON)
4) run c0ntr0l, chose Upload Firmware, select a hex file
5) wait and watch c0ntr0l's status bar till it says "Completed" or something
6) x0xb0x OFF
7) switch to some other mode (i.e. NOT bootload)
8) x0xb0x ON - done

CoolColJ

Post by CoolColJ »

Any reasons why the play buttons are ghosted on Control? Using Windows 7 64 bit here. I do recall those buttons working the last time I used it back in Windows Xp a year ago.

Aguy

Post by Aguy »

Quick question

will replacing the OS delete my current patters?

Also when in bootload, my x0xb0x LED's all light up except for the upper row and stay light, is this nromal?

thanks!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”