c0ntr0l replacement - expressions of interest required

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dnigrin

Re: c0ntr0l replacement - expressions of interest required

Post by dnigrin »

Very nice joolz! Although I was constrained by Max/MSP limitations, you might want to take a look at my "MC-202 Hack" app (http://defectiverecords.com/mc202hack) for ideas re: sequence options (transpose, delete, copy, etc...) for the grid.

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

Hey

Just wondering if theres any updates on the full veriosn of k0ntr0l?

Many thanks

Ben

j00lz

Post by j00lz »

I've had to put this on hold for the time being, as I am currently very busy with other things (moving house, starting a new business...etc). It is in a fairly advanced state though and I might prepare a beta release soon. Just need to tidy up a few things on the UI front - the core functionality is ready. But I can't see anything happening until at least 2 weeks so don't hold your breath just yet :lol:

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

Cool, many thanks, im not hassling you (hopefully!)

Just very interested in this, as a long time ABL user it will be awesome to get this.

If you want a beta tester prior to release id be happy to have a go, although im having loads of BSODs at the mo. Poor old PC is creaking! Will def buy afterwards.

Wondering how it would work with 2 x0xen, transfering files from one to the other, shoudl be easy. I get in a right mess saving patterns all over the place, this will hopefully make it a doddle.

No rush, glad its not been abandoned. And thanks again for safeb0x, very useful.

Ben :)

j00lz

Post by j00lz »

Paradigm X wrote: <snip>
Wondering how it would work with 2 x0xen, transfering files from one to the other, shoudl be easy. I get in a right mess saving patterns all over the place, this will hopefully make it a doddle.
I think you will love k0ntr0l. It is basically a 303 pattern librarian, its main purpose is to facilitate the management of large collections of patterns. Here are some of the core features:
- Import patterns from a variety of sources: x0xb0x, AudioRealism Bassline, D17 Phoscyon, Propellerhead's Rebirth
- All patterns are stored and managed in a single central "database" (currently a flat XML file)
- Patterns can be named, copied, edited...etc
- Duplicate patterns are detected on import (e.g. patterns that are already in the database). Duplicates can be retained or deleted.
- Patterns can quickly be assembled into tracks/sets of tracks and exported to x0xb0x.
- The currently selected pattern is automatically sent to a pre-defined (configurable) x0xb0x bank/location. As edits are made, the pattern is updated. This allows for live auditioning of patterns as they are being selected/modified.

Most of this functionality is already implemented. The only outstanding work is:
- graphical editing of patterns. (ABL text-style editing is done)
- graphical editing of tracks/sets

If you can think of more features, feel free to shout. :wink:

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

That does sound amazing, exactly what im after!!!

One other feature, if easy, would be a shift pattern left/right function.

Eg

ABCDEFGGABCDEFGG

Could be shifted left to do
BCDEFGGABCDEFGGA

or right to do
GABCDEFGGASCDEFG

but thats not a major concern. Also the semi random randomiser i linked above is cool, and open source, so you could poss borrow/use, but if not no worries as it exists anyway.

nice one, looking forward to it, but no rush. Good luck with your move etc.

:D

j00lz

Post by j00lz »

Pattern shift function is simple. I'll implement it. Let's call it Paradigm Shift for now :lol:

Randomising... hmmm I thought about it and had a look at that app you mention, I'm still not convinced it is that useful. Some kind of arpeggiator might be better? In any case neither is unlikely to be in the first release.

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

j00lz wrote:Pattern shift function is simple. I'll implement it. Let's call it Paradigm Shift for now :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: cool :mrgreen:
j00lz wrote:Randomising... hmmm I thought about it and had a look at that app you mention, I'm still not convinced it is that useful. Some kind of arpeggiator might be better? In any case neither is unlikely to be in the first release.
Cool, no worries. The java one is fine, can spit out up to 100 at a time in ABL format so can import if i ever want.

Cheers matey.

Ben

j00lz

Post by j00lz »

Guys,

For more info on the status of this please see this post.

Cheers,

j00lz

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

j00lz wrote:Things are coming along nicely...

All the underlying framework implementation (x0xb0x comms, ABL/Phoscyon/Rebirth file support) is done and pretty much fully tested. I am currently implementing a piano-roll control for pattern display and editing. Also working on the pattern library features, but I think I might do a release before this is finished, because K0ntr0l is already quite usable as it stands.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the main screen as it currently stands. It is very likely that the layout will change significantly before release, but it gives an idea of the features so far. :D

What happened to this cool prog? Can I download it somewhere?

I have some Ideas to make it even better:
It would be cool if you could leave a comment to each pattern (location) to describe the pattern and the usage of this pattern (for example in which ableton live project you use this pattern or from which song you stole it... :-) )
The additional info could be stored to an additional file with the same name but different file-extension
to leave the file format compatible to C0ntr0l!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”