Note drop with midi play

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
pACHE

Note drop with midi play

Post by pACHE »

Hello !
I just receive a x0xb0x for my birthday (isn't it a nice present! :D ) and it works very well except a problem while using midi play. I use my machinedrum to sequence my x0x and time to time (about 1 time every 2 minutes) the x0x stop playing for a couple of second. It usualy starts with a high pitch note (the same the you got when you are out of the note range), then nothing, then everything get back to normal. It's totally random !

You can listen to the problem here : http://soundcloud.com/pache/x0xverb at 0"28.

I recorded the midi notes from midi thru and it seems fine, so the problem is from the x0x. :?:
I don't have this problem when I use the internal sequencer.
I use sokkos 1.9.1. I cannot tell if the problem appears with stock OS.

What do you think ?
Thank you in advance,

Pache

Acrobatics

Re: Note drop with midi play

Post by Acrobatics »

pACHE wrote:do you think ?
Pache
I was about to open a thread for the same problem.
Using MIDI Play some notes seem not to be executed or dropped.
Yes it is random and does not happen in other operating modes.
Sure it is a problem with MIDI.

I connected a keyboard directly to the machine and it DOES NOT happen,
so I guess it is a problem related to the NOTE on/off release protocol handled
differently from source to source.
I suspect the Roland A880 between my keyboard and the x0x is changing the MIDI
signal in a way the x0x can't handle properly. Or somehing like that... any
MIDI expert out there, please? :?

pACHE

Post by pACHE »

[quote="Acrobatics"][/quote]
What's your os ? Sokkos ?

pACHE

Post by pACHE »

I did a try with stock OS, and everything fine, so it seems to be a sokkos bug. I'm going to post to sokkos forum.

Acrobatics

Post by Acrobatics »

pACHE wrote:I did a try with stock OS, and everything fine, so it seems to be a sokkos bug. I'm going to post to sokkos forum.
I don't know, I still have no idea how to check what OS I'm using... :oops:

pACHE

Post by pACHE »

Acrobatics wrote:
pACHE wrote:I did a try with stock OS, and everything fine, so it seems to be a sokkos bug. I'm going to post to sokkos forum.
If sound doesn't stop when you go from pattern sync to pattern edit, it should be sokkos !

Acrobatics

Post by Acrobatics »

pACHE wrote:
Acrobatics wrote:
If sound doesn't stop when you go from pattern sync to pattern edit, it should be sokkos !
OK it stops so it's 1.05 or something. :?
The problem is present with both a software (BANNED) and a hardware sequencer (Roland).

Acrobatics

Post by Acrobatics »

I can't believe nobody's using MIDI Play... :roll:

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

Acrobatics wrote:I can't believe nobody's using MIDI Play... :roll:
My guess is that people do, but it works for them.
I use MIDI play and never had a problem.

Are you sure your sequencer isn't spitting out huge amounts of MIDI data that makes the x0xb0x choke?

Acrobatics

Post by Acrobatics »

Sokkan wrote:
Acrobatics wrote:I can't believe nobody's using MIDI Play... :roll:
My guess is that people do, but it works for them.
I use MIDI play and never had a problem.

Are you sure your sequencer isn't spitting out huge amounts of MIDI data that makes the x0xb0x choke?
on the contrary, when the bass part is sent alone it drops notes,
when is sent along other midi parts it gets better,
I mean filling 16eens in an unused MIDI channel and sending along
with the x0xb0x MIDI part is the workaround I'm using to execute all the notes.
But that can't be the solution, just a hint.

Acrobatics

Post by Acrobatics »

Is it possible that the decay is not choked when the note (or the physical key) is released?
That could be the cause. :roll:

toneburst

Post by toneburst »

I'm getting the same issue with my xOxbOx- notes are dropped or choked (not sure which) when in MIDI-play mode. My workaround at the moment it just to redo the patterns using the box's internal sequencer, and use MIDI-sync, which seemed to work fine, once I'd got the 'MIDI clock sync delay' setting in Live right. I'm a xOxbOx newbie though (I've had my beige-cased eBay-bought one for some time, but for various reasons, haven't had much time to play with it until recently).

I'm using Ableton Live 8 on a MacBook Pro laptop, and my xOxbOx is running some version of Sokkos, I think.

I must say, using the internal sequencer seems better for making acid patterns than trying to do it using Live's MIDI note-editing tools, anyway.

a|x

robotmonster

Post by robotmonster »

Has anyone found solution to this problem yet?

I have it present on mine too, and I'm exclusively using Midi Play, and have it sequenced while jamming on a guitar, so no hands available to do non-midi stuff. Pattern change via midi is not really an option, because I like to be able to play live whatever midi notes I send at any given tempo, and to compose music in the same manner.

Did not bother me much and I kind of liked the glitchy randomness until it was time to record some songs, when it can get really annoying if it happens in a wrong time. Notes are simply skipped on random occasions. Say within 5minutes play, at normal tempo, there is probably about 10-15 dropped notes, and often Accent pops on some random notes even though it is not set via midi. I am using Ableton Live 8 to do the programming and sequencing. Tested it with M-Audio 96/24 and Audiofire12 cards from two different systems, same problem.

I believe I'm running with stock firmware I took when I first built the unit, likely 1.4 version. Serial # is 200 something (can find out exact number if needed). That said, people in this thread have reported problem across different firmware versions and midi sequencers so I'm kind of hesitant to start experiment with flashing too many times, not to stuff something up and I don't think it is Ableton because all my other midi gear works perfectly. So Again, notes are lost on moderate tempo speeds and I do not believe it is choking due to too much midi, also tried running it using single channel of midi data directly to the unit without using Midi Thru (normally running a midi chain across different stuff) and the problem is still there.

Something is telling me it could be a hardware problem, but I do not know where to start looking, what parts to re-solder / replace to try to fix it, so any help or pointers from electronics wizards out there would be greatly appreciated.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”