A few questions....

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Wiu

A few questions....

Post by Wiu »

Hi,

Please forgive my total amateurish'ness regarding hardware, i've only ever used software to produce music so this is totally new to me. Basically I just wanna confirm how I would connect a x0xb0x. I use a Mac Pro with an Edirol FA-66 audio interface (and Logic 8 although im guessing the DAW I use is irrelivant). The Edirol interface has 4 inputs in total. Inputs 1 and 2 are XLR/TRS with Mic preamps. 3 and 4 are RCA/Phono jacks which I use to connect the record output from my Pioneer DJM600 mixer (for recording DJ mixes or sampling). The Edirol has MIDI in and out connectors too. I see that x0xb0x has a USB connection. Will the Mac see it as an instrument? Or is it purely for updating the software?

I solder from time to time at work but don't really have any electronic experiences. Im kinda looking at a x0xb0x as an exciting challange. Do I stand any chance of successfully building it? Or should I just get a finished unit?

Sorry again for questions which are probably really idiotic (and asked all to often in the case of the latter)! I've wanted a x0xb0x for ages and have just seen that Juno is selling them in the UK now so wouldn't have to worry about all the import duty and VAT costs.

http://www.juno.co.uk/search/?quick_sea ... re_id=0000

Thanks for any help in adavnce,

Wiu :wink:

Luap

Re: A few questions....

Post by Luap »

Wiu wrote:Hi,

Please forgive my total amateurish'ness regarding hardware, i've only ever used software to produce music so this is totally new to me. Basically I just wanna confirm how I would connect a x0xb0x. I use a Mac Pro with an Edirol FA-66 audio interface (and Logic 8 although im guessing the DAW I use is irrelivant). The Edirol interface has 4 inputs in total. Inputs 1 and 2 are XLR/TRS with Mic preamps. 3 and 4 are RCA/Phono jacks which I use to connect the record output from my Pioneer DJM600 mixer (for recording DJ mixes or sampling). The Edirol has MIDI in and out connectors too. I see that x0xb0x has a USB connection. Will the Mac see it as an instrument? Or is it purely for updating the software?
USB is pretty much only for firmware updates. No midi control or audio goes via USB.
Potentially it can be used for pattern backups too. But im not sure thats a working feature yet..

As for connecting. With Logic you'd probably want to sync it via midi. So midi out from your audio/midi interface, to the midi in of the x0xb0x. Then the main audio output from the x0xb0x to one of your audio interface inputs.
Wiu wrote:I solder from time to time at work but don't really have any electronic experiences. Im kinda looking at a x0xb0x as an exciting challange. Do I stand any chance of successfully building it? Or should I just get a finished unit?
I'd say it was rather ambitious if it is your first project. Theres a lot of parts in there! I would try some simpler kits first. Perhaps the little Bugbrand noise makers for example.
Wiu wrote:Sorry again for questions which are probably really idiotic (and asked all to often in the case of the latter)! I've wanted a x0xb0x for ages and have just seen that Juno is selling them in the UK now so wouldn't have to worry about all the import duty and VAT costs.

http://www.juno.co.uk/search/?quick_sea ... re_id=0000
Those are identical, bar some labelling, to Technology Transplant x0xb0xes. And you can read plenty about them in various posts on these forums, and form your own opinion on them...
But there are good alternative suppliers here in Europe :wink: (Thus no import duty issues) x0xsh0p.de (Substyler on these forums) also sells great kits, and pre built ones also. And for a very similar cost too. Plus you can be sure they got all the right parts there!

Wiu wrote:Thanks for any help in adavnce,

Wiu :wink:
Hope I helped 8)

Wiu

Post by Wiu »

Thank you for the reply Luap, that's helped a lot :)

Can I connect the x0xb0x directly into my audio interface though?

Cheers,
Wiu

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

i heartily recommend the beast in the UK for ready made units. Same price but hes been modding 303s for years and really knows what hes doing. The TT ones are... well have a search on here. Ive not seen myself so cant commeny. I have a the beast one and its amazing.

Yeah midi out to x0x midi in, x0x audio out to edirol audio in. Job done! :)

Wiu

Post by Wiu »

Cheers for the reply Paradigm X.

I was reading up on the whole 'Cy' issues earlier. I didn't realize that the 'Mode Machines' ones were the same (or at least shared similar issues). I've found a x0x0b0x assembled by 'The Beast' on ebay and will check out his website tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice!
Wiu :D

Simius

Post by Simius »

2 other great sellers are:

* http://cgi.ebay.com/x0xb0x-Roland-TB303 ... 230ea1e8fb

And

* www.xoxshop.de

I have a x0x from xoxshop.de and it's great. Also, the price is quite low if you compare it to other shops. If you like the raw distorted acid, I recommend a Boss OS-2 pedal (:

Wiu

Post by Wiu »

Thanks Simius :)

The one on ebay looks tasty. Purple dials ftw!

Thanks for the pedal recommendation too. I was gonna ask for a decent distortion pedal tip at some point.

Wiu

Simius

Post by Simius »

Wiu

Post by Wiu »

I ordered my x0xb0x yesterday and should be with me tomorrow or saturday. Im not sure if I need to buy a TRS or TS cable to connect it to my audio interface though. My audio interface inputs support both but does the x0xb0x?

Sorry for the total newb question! :oops:

altitude

Post by altitude »

TS, the output is not balanced

Wiu

Post by Wiu »

Thanks Altitude :D

Thank you to all that have helped me in this thread! Can't wait for it to arrive.

Cheers,
Wiu

Simius

Post by Simius »

Where did you order it? Have fun with it!

Wiu

Post by Wiu »

I got the one off ebay from Andy Pledger. I picked it up from the post office today. All hooked up and working nicely. :D

I only have 1 problem now. I think I may of caught the 'hardware' bug. I'd really like to get a second x0xb0x, i've been eyeing the Dave Smith Mopho for a while and im tempted to get a Roland TR-707. Guess i'd need to get a studio mixer and a new audio interface too. I so need a BANNED win....

Simius

Post by Simius »

I have the same problem, but I don't have a job anymore and go to school fulltime(I'm 19), so it's hard to pay for all those expensive hardware:( I'm now saving up for a SH-101!

altitude

Post by altitude »

purely for updating the software

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”