OT: Arduino-based drum machine

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mazatta

OT: Arduino-based drum machine

Post by mazatta »

http://www.beat707.com

I have no relationship with this project, but I stumbled across this on Matrixsynth today and thought maybe some people on here might be interested in this. It's a cheap drum machine/step-sequencer for a very reasonable price...something I've been looking for for a long time!

hamburgers

Re: OT: Arduino-based drum machine

Post by hamburgers »

mazatta wrote:http://www.beat707.com

I have no relationship with this project, but I stumbled across this on Matrixsynth today and thought maybe some people on here might be interested in this. It's a cheap drum machine/step-sequencer for a very reasonable price...something I've been looking for for a long time!

those are easily the worst product demonstration videos I've ever seen :o

that said, it looks like an interesting project

altitude

Post by altitude »

I'm all over this :)

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

mome rath wrote:those are easily the worst product demonstration videos I've ever seen :o

that said, it looks like an interesting project
Exactly :lol:

Keep us updated in this thread.

altitude

Post by altitude »

i ordered one. a case will be challenging with the smd lights and what not but ive been looking to try lightpipes anyway

rosch

Post by rosch »

i've bought the code and schematics of that project from wusik in january, before they went with rugged.
meanwhile they have worked on the firmware and hardware. i haven't bought an arduino yet and i don't need the hardware, as i'll make my own panel.
the files i got are in fritzing format, ie breadboard sketch. i haven't managed to get a proper schematic of of this yet, but haven't spent much time either....
i've started building Paul Maddox' TRON first, after that i'll try wusik drummer.

Post by guest »

this project looks interesting
but i have a question for those who also find it interesting

is it important that it is arduino based

altitude

Post by altitude »

guest wrote:this project looks interesting
but i have a question for those who also find it interesting

is it important that it is arduino based
It could be hamster based for all I care. I just need a x0x style drum sequencer and this looks like a decent one

antto

Post by antto »

erm.. the x0xb0x from a hardware point of view.. has enough controls (buttons and switches, and LEDS!)
the firmware could be modified to turn it into a MIDI-triggering drum sequencer
and i think it'll be pretty easy :mrgreen:

westfw

Post by westfw »

I thought it was a midi-triggering drum sequencer (assuming that the midi notes you send out are for drums.)
It doesn't do any actual synthesis.

antto

Post by antto »

you mean with the existing firmware? i wouldn't say so
for a propper midi-triggering drum sequencer the firmware must be rewritten pretty much
right now the x0x only sends notes as a monophonic synth
you need like 8 or more "drum" channels which can all trigger notes on the same step
also, something like drum cut thing would be useful (so your CHH can shut the OHH)
pattern editing mode, and pattern playing mode, with functions to toggle mute for each drum channel with a single button press
all kinds of cool stuff come to mind ;]
EDIT: also, the rotary encoder can be used with multiple functions (using hold-one-button-and-tweak) like shuffle amount, volume of individual channels (which modifies the midi note velocities of that channel)

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

im interested but i dont think itll do what i want. I want to make a load of 808 clone pcbs and trigger them via a sequencer, analgoue triggers. Dont think this will do that (easily, and i cant program to save my life)

:(

altitude

Post by altitude »

Paradigm X wrote:im interested but i dont think itll do what i want. I want to make a load of 808 clone pcbs and trigger them via a sequencer, analgoue triggers. Dont think this will do that (easily, and i cant program to save my life)

:(

I dont know how far you've gotten with the PCB i sent you but make sure you look at how the 808 voices are triggered, it is no straight forward. Look at how the MB808 was done, that work is already finished and schematics are available (plus the MB808 seq is very nice and the CORE8 hardware is readily available)

paradigm x

Post by paradigm x »

Not started yet ... need to sort myself out an appropriate drill(press) first. Only got a standard 'DIY' type drill which is huge and prob not a good idea to try drilling pcbs with!

Im also in the middle of my first x0xb0x build so will be a while before i get a chance to have a look at it.

Cheers for the heads up re mb808 – i thought that project had kind of died, the forums dead... I found details of a sequencer only pcb which looks interesting. Provisionally down for a pcb run.

many thanks

Ben

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

westfw wrote:I thought it was a midi-triggering drum sequencer (assuming that the midi notes you send out are for drums.)
It doesn't do any actual synthesis.
I think antto's talking about modifying x0xb0x firmware, not about the arduino thing

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”