x0xb0x in FL Studio

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Sirous

x0xb0x in FL Studio

Post by Sirous »

Hi,
I've bought a finished x0x and need help getting it to work (in FL Studio). First do i need to install some drivers? Because Windows XP asked me for them and didn't found some and i couldn't find some on the internet too, so the hardware isn't installed on the computer (if it's need to).
I turned it on, started FL and thought it will directly show up in the midi input list like my midi keyboard but it doesn't...

I hope you can give me some good advice to get it to work.

antto

Re: x0xb0x in FL Studio

Post by antto »

okay, the drivers are for the USB connection only
the USB driver itself emulates a "serial port" (old rs232) connection
it is used to flash firmware and backup/upload patterns (the functions of the USB connection could be extended too)

to actually use the x0xb0x with a DAW (like FL) you just use the MIDI cable
plug the cable to your midi interface (out) and the x0xb0x (MIDI IN)
i think it won't be indicated anywhere, but that's fine
now, in your DAW MIDI settings (somewhere) you should set it to send out MIDI CLOCK
in FL, i think you should enable MIDI output/Sync/Control
then, set the x0xbx0x in MIDI-Sync mode, and press Play in your DAW, the x0xb0x should start running

i guess you could also do the opposite - sync your DAW to the x0xb0x MIDI CLOCK (x0xb0x in internal sync) but i'm not sure
you can try it, reverse the direction of the midi (midi interface IN, x0xb0x MIDI OUT) but who knows..

Sirous

Post by Sirous »

i've tried it out. But the X0xb0x still doesn't show up in FL.
Attachments
FLMidisettings.png
FLMidisettings.png (44.84 KiB) Viewed 3855 times

Sirous

Post by Sirous »

ok, now FL at least finds this device. I've activated my soundcard midi input (down in the picture) and put the midi cable from x0x midi out to soundcard midi in and if i turn the mode selection FL shows with some settings green or orange light in the top everytime i do that. Just how do i get a sound in FL now?
If i turn it on Pattern Sync out, Pattern Edit & Track Edit and press run it starts running, but there's no sound coming???

Just that you know, this is the first time i use a hardware device like this, so i hope you're patient with me.

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

Sirous wrote:ok, now FL at least finds this device. I've activated my soundcard midi input (down in the picture) and put the midi cable from x0x midi out to soundcard midi in and if i turn the mode selection FL shows with some settings green or orange light in the top everytime i do that. Just how do i get a sound in FL now?
If i turn it on Pattern Sync out, Pattern Edit & Track Edit and press run it starts running, but there's no sound coming???

Just that you know, this is the first time i use a hardware device like this, so i hope you're patient with me.
Other way around man.

Midi out from your soundcard to midi in on x0xb0x. Then you can use fl to trigger or sync the x0xb0x (ie put in notes and make the x0xb0x play them OR let the x0xb0x play in sync with your fl tune).
Where have you connected the audio out on x0xb0x? You'd probably need to connect it to your soundcards input and record it into fl...

Sirous

Post by Sirous »

From Mix Out to L Line in & R Line In. I have a sound now but it's still not how it should be. The sound is just on the left side, i can make the channel mono (the X0xb0x is anyway mono right?) but i have some noise between. Maybe i can use another channel? but i guess that's too much to ask because that's more about my soundcard then if i'm not wrong...

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/27853435/noise.mp3 [at 2-3 sec.]

xlarge

Post by xlarge »

Sirous wrote:From Mix Out to L Line in & R Line In. I have a sound now but it's still not how it should be. The sound is just on the left side, i can make the channel mono (the X0xb0x is anyway mono right?) but i have some noise between. Maybe i can use another channel? but i guess that's too much to ask because that's more about my soundcard then if i'm not wrong...

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/27853435/noise.mp3 [at 2-3 sec.]
Nice! :)

Yes the x0x is mono.
I only have access to a laptop with it's speakers... But anyways; it sounds good.. can't hear any massive noise there?

Sirous

Post by Sirous »

yeah, it's not that loud. If i just play around it's a bit more recognizable. Maybe i can record it better. It sounds like when a cable has a loose connection or similar, but i've checked them, the noise is coming more often when i move a controller i think, not sure, maybe it was coincidence maybe not.

Sirous

Post by Sirous »

I've made the sound very deep so it's much more recognizable now:

http://www.speedyshare.com/files/27855804/noise2.mp3

and forget the controller move thing i've said...

Simius

Post by Simius »

Sirous wrote:yeah, it's not that loud. If i just play around it's a bit more recognizable. Maybe i can record it better. It sounds like when a cable has a loose connection or similar, but i've checked them, the noise is coming more often when i move a controller i think, not sure, maybe it was coincidence maybe not.
Lol I use FL studio too and my xox works perfect with it. What kind of soundcard do you have? Quality cables really can make a difference..

Sirous

Post by Sirous »

A hdsp 9632. The soundcard itself makes no noise. But do you think a cable can be the problem?

xlarge wrote:Midi out from your soundcard to midi in on x0xb0x. Then you can use fl to trigger or sync the x0xb0x (ie put in notes and make the x0xb0x play them OR let the x0xb0x play in sync with your fl tune).
It works this way and the other way, but i couldn't figure it out yet how i can use the bpm in FL Studio for the x0xb0x. What Mode selection do i need?
Attachments
cables.JPG
cables.JPG (79.29 KiB) Viewed 3814 times

decoder23

Post by decoder23 »

use midi sync on the x0xb0x and be sure that fl sends the clock signal.

Sirous

Post by Sirous »

Is there another thing i have to do to get it to work? I have set it on midi sync and in FL the Synchronisation type on MIDI clock (as in the 1. picture), FL doesn't recognize the x0x if i set it on midi clock yet.

Simius

Post by Simius »

Here are my settings: http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/5482/settingst.png

Put your xox on MIDI sync and make sure that MIDI out/in is setup correctly

hamburgers

Post by hamburgers »

Simius wrote:
Sirous wrote:yeah, it's not that loud. If i just play around it's a bit more recognizable. Maybe i can record it better. It sounds like when a cable has a loose connection or similar, but i've checked them, the noise is coming more often when i move a controller i think, not sure, maybe it was coincidence maybe not.
Lol I use FL studio too and my xox works perfect with it. What kind of soundcard do you have? Quality cables really can make a difference..

http://consumerist.com/2008/03/do-coat- ... ables.html

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”