some slides are missing in MIDI Play mode, SokkOS1.9.1

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dimi_ghost

some slides are missing in MIDI Play mode, SokkOS1.9.1

Post by dimi_ghost »

hello,

i have some missing slides in the MIDI Play mode, when sequencing the midi clip previously recorded from MIDI-Out in Pattern MIDI Sync mode. my x0xbox has SokkOS1.9.1 firmware.

I recorded different midi clips and i can see that indeed when there are two notes in a sequence, the latter with a slide, this slide is recorded (second note starts before first finishes). but what if a slide note is following a rest? i found that i loose some of the slides in my recorded patterns this way.

is that correct that rest is supposed to be encoded as an absence of note? is this a hardware limitation or an OS bug?

cheers,
dmitry

antto

Re: some slides are missing in MIDI Play mode, SokkOS1.9.1

Post by antto »

in the x0xb0x firmware (also in sokkos) the pattern is a stack of 16 "steps"
each step has note+accent+slide information
a "rest" is when the note value is zero (which is a special value)
but even on a "rest" step - the accent and slide values are kept
once you set a rest step - you lose the original note value..

on the other hand, the synth-side can trigger a slide or accent even while in a "rest" (when the VCA Gate is off)

now, lets add midi
the firmware outputs midi notes
when a note has accent - the velocity is highest, otherwise it's some mid-value
when a note is playing and has a slide set - the next note is overlapped

so, the internal sequencer "converts" the internal synth control signals into MIDI note messages
this convertion i'd say is "lossy" .. some information is lost
"accent on a rest step" - high velocity without a note? you can't do that with MIDI

there are ways to implement the x0x->midi->x0x convertion in such a way that no information is lost
for example, the midi note length might be unimportant, the accent can be the aftertouch, the slide can be the pitch-bend nonzero value (on/off)

but the x0x->midi->x0x thing has a different purpose, the idea is to be able to control another midi-fied 303 (or clone)
thus, changing the convertion will make the x0xb0x incompatible with a midi-fied 303 or the BANNED 303 (whatever it was) .. you get my point

in short: you should not think of x0x->midi->x0x as a safe way to backup patterns
if you want the sequencer features - use the sequencer
if you want to sequence on a piano-roll - use your DAW and midi-play mode
if you want to backup patterns - use the USB, or write them down on paper..

dimi_ghost

Post by dimi_ghost »

ok, i got it :)
mine idea was to have all the track prepared in DAW, i would go for playing patterns from x0x then, as there some types of grooves that won't be able another way. i also sequence another synth via cv/gate, which is a very useful option of x0xbox.

cheers!

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

Actually SokkOS has the feature you are asking for. Rest are sent as note 0 with velocity 0 and are correctly translated into rests when received. The only thing you loose by using MIDI for this is accent on rest notes just like antto mentioned.

You most likely have a problem with your DAW translating the rests to note off messages. It is correct to interpret note ons with velocity 0 as note off according to the standard, however they should preferably not be translated into a note off but recorded as note on 0 velocity 0.

So, try editing your recorded sequence and replace the note off with note on 0 velocity 0 and see if it works. Then try to have a look in the settings and see if you can turn of the translating. :)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”