Argh! eeprom back up failed?

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Stern

Argh! eeprom back up failed?

Post by Stern »

I made a eeprom backup using c0ntr0l, but now I tried to restore and most of the patterns have gone?! Is there any way to get them back?

altitude

Re: Argh! eeprom back up failed?

Post by altitude »

I never even knew that function worked in c0ntrol

phono

Post by phono »

Altitude wrote:I never even knew that function worked in c0ntrol
it doesn't and hasn't ever on the last official firmware afaik

safebox should work though, not that its any consilation now

Stern

Post by Stern »

Darn, that erm... s0cks, I have a live set tomorrow. Shouldn't this be mentioned on the c0ntr0l instruction pages? Good thing most basslines where inspired by existing basslines so at least I can recreate 80% of what I lost... Ah well, it is what it is. So Safebox will do the trick for sure?

antto

Post by antto »

Stern wrote:I made a eeprom backup using c0ntr0l, but now I tried to restore and most of the patterns have gone?! Is there any way to get them back?
the backed-up file, how big is it?
and what firmware do you use?

Stern

Post by Stern »

It's 2 kB, I use sokkOS 1.9.1

It backed up banks 1 to 4 and 16 completely, 5 to 15 are missing. (well, bank 5 pattern 1 is only 1 note long).

antto

Post by antto »

hm.. so the back-up file is 2048 bytes, correct?
some patterns are there, some are spoiled?
this smells like corrupted USB transmition, maybe CRC errors
is your USB cable long-ish?

Stern

Post by Stern »

I want to say sorry for my late replies, I was on the road for a few days. I am really grateful for the help.

Indeed, some patterns are there, others are gone. As for file sizes, on my pc it says 2 kB (right click it and it says 1,85kB; 1900bytes) on the Mac 4KB, 1900 bytes... Earlier I downloaded some xoxbox XBP file elsewhere on the forum and I noticed that it is the same size, hence why I reckoned perhaps the file might still be intact. It would be nice if that's the case, as some patterns I could not reprogram exactly...

Silly of me to not even consider the cable to be a potential cause, it does seem to make sense... I'll try again with a shorter cable, first with Safebox and if that works I'll try again with Control. I'll report back here asap.

antto

Post by antto »

i don't think it's the cable
with c0ntr0l i also get about 1900 bytes from the x0x (sometimes less)
ideally, for the adafruit firmware v1.05 or sokkos (any version)
16 banks * 8 patterns = 128
128 * 16bytes = 2048 bytes total (i'm not counting other data like tracks/songs.. if any)

i also tought maybe the cable might be an issue but no, i've flashed firmware a few hundred of times and 99.9% of the time there is no problem with it
also, i ran a test, i used a pseudo-random-number-generator on the x0xb0x, sending random numbers thru USB to my PC with a custom app, the app receives them and also generates numbers from the same generator/seed and compares if they match
i left it that way for a bunch of minutes and there were _no_ bad bytes..
the cable might become an issue if it's really long (afaik)

Sokkan

Post by Sokkan »

The file size from a c0ntr0l save depends on what you have in your patterns and of how full the memory is on the x0xb0x. If you have a look in the c0ntr0l source code you will notice that it will translate what it gets from the x0xb0x before saving the dump. This translation is the broken part of it. It is not at all hard to fix but I would recommend using safebox if you have the drivers for the USB installed in a computer or a MIDI dump from the Sokkos 2.0 beta if you fail to install the USB drivers.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”