x0xio from Maarten Koster ( holland ) WOW

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
mayday

x0xio from Maarten Koster ( holland ) WOW

Post by mayday »

Hi everyone dont know if you heard the problems i had with the x0xio ( basically i used the wrong psu and blew it up ) .well i managed to send it back to Maarten and he very kindly fixed it for me , and for free too . he also sent me the correct psu 5v dc
Well ive had it about ten minutes now and im totally blown away by this thing , this is far more than a 303 clone the amount ,and type of sounds you get out of it are mind blowing , i knew it would be good but im amazed by what it can do for such a small box
Any way i just wanted to say thanks to Maarten ,and when i get the hang of it il post some you tube clips of it in action . im going back to playing with this beast now .
darffader did you get yours yet ?
thanks

rv0

Re: x0xio from Maarten Koster ( holland ) WOW

Post by rv0 »

mayday wrote: darffader did you get yours yet ?

yeah it has now
got delayed a bit cos i was never home for the package delivery

teknosis

Post by teknosis »

How much are they and how do i contact Maarten? Really want one of these after watching brian's videos on youtube!

mayday

Post by mayday »

Hi i got mine from a guy in holland on e bay hes got one up now
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160690684192? ... 1438.l2649
The e bay shop is called oscidance i can recommend him and also maartens work its one of the best things ive got i love it
I think he sells them through oscidance , i have his personal e mail but i dont think he wants it posted on the forums ?

rv0

Post by rv0 »

Do keep in mind, Maarten's x0xio's are very nice and affordable.. But Brian's x0xio uses better quality components as far as I can see (which probably has big influence on the price)

I still have to compare them soundwise though, cannot comment on that yet.

mayday

Post by mayday »

Yeah i bought mine in the first place thinking it was a brian BANNED x0xio after all he invented the x0xio as far as i know, i didnt even know anyone else made them and was a bit worried when i found out he had nothing to do with it ,but was more than happy when i got it
It would be nice to see a A/B comparison ive only heard brians on you tube so cant compare
It is so much more than a 303 clone or even a modded x0x its a whole new machine ,it shows what a relatively simple basic sound the x0x/303 is although im still obsessed with that acid/303 sound 23 years after first hearing it !!!

phono

Post by phono »

mayday wrote:Hi i got mine from a guy in holland on e bay hes got one up now
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160690684192? ... 1438.l2649
The e bay shop is called oscidance i can recommend him and also maartens work its one of the best things ive got i love it
I think he sells them through oscidance , i have his personal e mail but i dont think he wants it posted on the forums ?
this is not a x0xio, it looks identical to the one that was recently posted for sale in vemia via the AH mailing list, here is what Brain said about that one.

Hi All,

I need to step in here.
This is a problem that has been rampant lately and I can't wait any longer before informing the people here at least for now.
This is not a x0xi0.

I have received several requests for help/support recently from people that have these cloned x0xi0-looking instruments. In all cases they are not working properly.
I have no problem with someone integrating my original published circuit designs into their product, but it should be clearly noted that these are not x0xi0's. Nothing here is related, PCB's, layout, parts, etc.. are all completely different, although the final visual product looks somewhat like a x0xi0 to the unfamiliar. I have been sent pics of these units inside out and quality is definitely not the foremost concern.

I will be posting more on this in the near future.

Regards,
Brian.

bcbox

Post by bcbox »

ok, this is getting out of control and I need to respond.

I have been receiving requests for service on numerous of these synths that aren't mine.
As I've mentioned, I have no problem with someone integrating my original published circuit designs into their product, but it should
be clearly noted that these are not x0xi0's. It took me several years to design and refine this product, and several years to build the brand reputation.
I design pro audio electronics as a sole source of income. I have retail product coming in 2012 that are based on the core of the x0xi0.
The reputation of my companies is already taking a hit from these products that are not mine.
I take pride in the quality of my kits and retail product and I am proud that they are designed and built in the USA using local vendors and only the best quality parts.
More so, I have been holding back the release of new product simply out of respect of those who are waiting for completed documentation for the x0xi0 custom build kits,
and here is someone trying to copy the design for which there isn't even a completed owners manual. Then they get sent to me for support. This is baffling.
[edit]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Knock-off x0xi0 (no relation to BC Audio or Abstrakt Instruments)

Image Image
Image Image

x0xi0 Knock-Off 1
x0xi0 Knock-Off 2
x0xi0 Knock-Off 3
x0xi0 Knock-Off 4

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

x0xi0 Synth (Rev B)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image

x0xi0 Synth (Rev B) 1
x0xi0 Synth (Rev B) 2
x0xi0 Synth (Rev B) 3
x0xi0 Synth (Rev B) 4
x0xi0 Synth (Rev B) 5
x0xi0 Synth (Rev B) 6
x0xi0 Synth (Rev B) 7
x0xi0 Synth (Rev B) 8

x0xi0 Complete Kit w/ Custom Enclosure

Image Image

x0xi0 Complete Kit w/ Custom Enclosure 1
x0xi0 Complete Kit w/ Custom Enclosure 2
x0xi0 Complete Kit w/ Custom Enclosure 3

x0xi0 Standard Kit

Image Image

x0xi0 Standard Kit 1
x0xi0 Standard Kit 2
x0xi0 Standard Kit 3
Last edited by bcbox on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 6 times in total.

stevenclements

Post by stevenclements »

Wow this is the first I've heard of this.

I have one of Brian's x0xio and it's brilliant. Mine was built on top of a adafruit #345 and with components that I know for a fact are top notch I can verify that this box is rock solid!

If you want a TB-303 - save your money and buy one. If you want the next best thing; get a properly built or kitted x0xb0x, trying to save $100 or $200 really is a bad idea when you consider the rampant amount garbage being sold out there as kits for the x0xb0x.

I think you owe it to yourself to get an x0xio if that's what you want ~ truly takes the x0xb0x a few steps above. Don't BANNED around with trying to save a few bucks, you will not get the same thing. Honestly people consider your money; throwing it at something that you are unsure of is a waste.

My x0xio is extremely well built and feels very similar to high end modular gear.

mayday

Post by mayday »

As i said i bought this thinking i was buying a second hand brian BANNED x0xio off e bay and payed over 700 euros for it and thought i was paying a fair price for a second hand product .ive seen them go on e bay before for less than i paid . So i didnt buy it thinking i was getting a BANNED . When it came i used the wrong psu and blew the thing up and after trying to fix it myself i e mailed brian for advice, thats when i found out someone else was building them and was thinking i had been ripped off (maybe i have ?)
but when i finally got it sorted and got got it back i can say i was very impressed sound wise and build wise( so far ) seems as good as my other x0xbox
though most people are baffled by the battery , but the sounds out of this thing are amazing ,to my ears anyway
I have not heard brians x0xio , only on you tube so cant compare the two .

I dont doubt brians will be the better of the two after all you get what you pay for and brian invented the x0xio so i think maarten should call them something else , there is no writing on the case saying its a x0xio
Maybe its the guy at oscidance who is selling them that is advertising them wrongly it might be worth speaking to him ? i have his e mail ?

I hope i have not offended you brian as i bought it thinking it was one of yours and can see why you would be annoyed with this situation

rv0

Post by rv0 »

mayday wrote:i think maarten should call them something else , there is no writing on the case saying its a x0xio
Maybe its the guy at oscidance who is selling them that is advertising them wrongly it might be worth speaking to him ? i have his e mail ?
actually:
http://synthforum.nl/forums/showthread.php?t=138220
http://synthforum.nl/forums/showthread.php?t=144179

There is, on a hardware level, a huge difference between BC and MK version. There's no copying of the design, just the feature set is very similar (MK version uses cheaper parts and construction, but comes with more extras, front panel is very similar)

mayday

Post by mayday »

darffader what do you think of yours ? i can say im still blown away with mine i love it
id love to have a brian BANNED x0xio to compare the two ,one was for sale on e bay usa , i wanted to buy but he was not shipping overseas and it went for less than i paid for maartens x0xio . i will get one one day

rv0

Post by rv0 »

mayday wrote:darffader what do you think of yours ? i can say im still blown away with mine i love it
id love to have a brian BANNED x0xio to compare the two
well, as my BC x0xio hasn't been finished yet (we're waiting for the final assembly instructions) I can't comment soundwise yet.

my MK x0xio has some typical x0xb0x problems:
- clicking envelope
- wrong sounding square wave (compared to 303)
- different filter behavior (compared to 303)

It also has a problem with the 'cents' pot when it's fully down, but that seems to be unique to mine ;)

The good part of the story: Maarten seems like a really helpful guy.. He offered me to send him my (2nd hand) x0xio and he would fix those problems. I refused because I need the x0xb0x at the moment for the cpu project, so then he gave me a pretty good explanation on what I can do to fix the problems myself.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”