sokkos: User functions User A, User B , User C

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
roxxx303

sokkos: User functions User A, User B , User C

Post by roxxx303 »

What do these do in sokkos 1.9?
I found no documentation on this!

by the way: is the n0nx0x-OS worth to be tested soundwise? Or lies the difference only in the programming-style?

cheers!

antto

Re: sokkos: User functions User A, User B , User C

Post by antto »

the firmware is only a sequencer, it can't change the sound, it only controls the synth-side of the x0xb0x
that applies to all firmwares
n0nx0x is "freezed"

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

Thanks for your replay!
I heard someone saying, that some "forms of slides" cannot be performed on the x0xb0x which are possible on the 303-sequencer.
Therefore the 303 would sound funkier or something like this...
So with n0nx0x is this possible - or is this all a myth???

-roxxx303

antto

Post by antto »

the pattern format used in the x0xb0x (adafruit and sokkos firmware) is different from the format in the TB-303
actually the difference is small, but the TB-303 prevents you from doing some things and replaces them automatically
basically, they both have note-key, up/down, accent, slide, but the rules in the TB-303 are restrictfull (or not) a bit
you can achieve the same pattern from a TB-303 on a x0xb0x, but you gotta "convert it" first

there is however a triplet mode in the TB-303 which isn't present in the x0x
this makes pattern play in triplets, which means 3 steps per beat (rather than 4 steps as usual)
i had this in n0nx0x but.. as i mentioned, it's freezed

what this guy has mentioned might be about Ties
in the TB-303 you have Gate/Tie/Rest
you know what Gate and Rest do (same as on the x0x) but there's no Tie
Tie means "extend the previous note"
this on the other hand gives you an advantage over the other clones' pattern systems
on the 303 - you can write a few notes, hear them, then decide to "extend" the first note, and this doesn't erase the other notes after it

why TB-303 *might* sound funkier IMO is because of the sequencer interface
i judge by my own experience
most of the time, i'm "messing" with the thing (be it the x0xb0x, or my synth, or any 303-ish synth with sequencer)
and suddenly i figure out "this pattern i'm tweakin started to sound good, imma save it"
which means i don't have any clear plan for my patterns at first, i simply "play" with it, and if i notice the pattern is good - i export it, and this is how patterns are born
the question "how" i "play" to make the patterns has to do with the actual sequencer interface
this interface plays a subliminal (sort of) role, as each 303 clone's sequencer is a bit different
on the x0xb0x, i tend to create a kind of patterns, while with n0nx0x (which follows the tb-303 sequencer) i do a different kind of patterns
IMO both are useful, both can do the job
but it is about style and workflow, and the subliminal bit..
when you improvise, it makes a huge difference whether you use the TB-303 or the x0xb0x sequencer
and one thing is certain - if you want the 303-feeling you should use the 303-sequencer
:wink: :mrgreen:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”