Impressions

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
303user

Impressions

Post by 303user »

Well, its all working except for keyboard mode, which I think can only be a firmware issue since the keys work fine in pattern edit etc.

So I had a good critical listen to the square wave and I have to say I'm very impressed, I had it running with my 303 and the differences were negligable, in fact I have heard more variation between 303's than this.
The resonance is ok too, not quite as high but I'm sure a simple resistor swap would sort that out.

Pretty much everything else is like an improved version of the 303 and with a few mods I think it would be even better.

So well done Limor and the team, I have owned many 303's for the past 18 years and I'm a satisfied customer :D

One anomaly I did notice though (and this may be a firmware issue) is the handling of accents on rests, you sort of get a ghost note!

adafruit

Re: Impressions

Post by adafruit »

303user wrote:
One anomaly I did notice though (and this may be a firmware issue) is the handling of accents on rests, you sort of get a ghost note!
thanks for the good words & the heads up on accented rests. its probably my error and, luckily, a very simple firmware fix. ill add it to my list of improvements for the next firmware release.

303user

Post by 303user »

Cool, while you are doing the update, how about these extras:

1. The ability to shift the pattern (notes, accents, slides etc) in 1 step increments, my 777 does this and it is an invaluable feature if you get a killer line which "starts in the wrong place" This could be implemented by holding down done and pressing Prev (to move back 1 step) or Next to go foreward, additional presses could move another step.

2. Randomisation of accent, slide, u, d and timing but keeping note data intact, a remix feature if you will. This would be great for coming up with variations in the same key etc.

3. The ability to have 2,3,4,5,6,7 or 8 bar patterns, on the 303 if you hold down say button 1 and 4 in pattern write mode it will allow a 4 bar pattern to be written using pattern slots 1,2,3 and 4. The patterns can then be played back in the same (sequential) manner or individually. The 606 also does this and again it is a killer feature.

:D :lol:

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

303user wrote:
3. The ability to have 2,3,4,5,6,7 or 8 bar patterns, on the 303 if you hold down say button 1 and 4 in pattern write mode it will allow a 4 bar pattern to be written using pattern slots 1,2,3 and 4. The patterns can then be played back in the same (sequential) manner or individually. The 606 also does this and again it is a killer feature.
have you tried "pattern chaining" in pattern play mode? (or track edit/play)? this may be what you want

303user

Post by 303user »

Yes and pattern chain is excellent, but rather more flexible than what I was talking about, almost like a mini song mode. What I mean is just hold down say 1 and 4 and it plays 1,2,3,4 in a loop, but the best bit is that patterns can be edited like this too, so a 4 bar pattern can be created as a whole, its kind of difficult to explain but is actually quite simple and elegant.

Can patterns be edited in pattern chain? If so then I suppose that is even better, since chaining allows for greater flexibility yet could also operate in the same way as above.

Another cool feature I though of for realtime fun would be the ability to mute individual steps, maybe using one of the user slots.

But lets not forget what a great machine we have already!

Post by Guest »

Also re the pattern shift mentioned in 1. above, it could be implemented in pattern edit just pressing prev or next whilst pattern is running, then if you like it press done, if not it won't save so you can revert back by re-selecting the pattern. That would be awesome!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”