x0xb0x & FL studio setting up issues

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
CRDM

x0xb0x & FL studio setting up issues

Post by CRDM »

Hello people,

Signed up to the forum as 1. Just got myself a x0xb0x and 2. I'm having a bit of difficulty setting it up with FL studio.

I've never set up a piece of hardware so it's all pretty new to me. There's a similar thread about this but following thos steps has not helped, so here's where i'm at...

I'm running my xoxbox into my focusrite scarlett 8i6, midi in on the x0xb0x midi out on the soundcard. In FL studio I have gotten it so that when I press play the x0x tempo is synced up to that in FL studio. The problem is i'm not getting audio when in the midisync mode. I'm using the MIDI OUT plugin in FL, setting the port same as soundcard. When I change the x0x to random or pattern edit/play I get audio from it into FL fine. I want to be able to put notes into the piano roll and use my midi keyboard (which is plugged in via usb to lappy).

It might be something very obvious i'm missing, maybe not, any help on the situation will be greatly appreciated as I just want to jam and make a tune with my new synth 8)

Edit: In pattern (midi sync I can play a pattern programmed into the x0x in time with the FL studio tempo, still no audio through the track (midisync) setting.

Cheers,

Charlie

antto

Re: x0xb0x & FL studio setting up issues

Post by antto »

in midisync mode the x0x sequencer runs and tempo is determined by midi clocks
(thus for it to make sound, you should have programmed a pattern)
if you want to play the x0xb0x with midi notes, like a normal monophonic synthesizer - then use the midiplay mode (where the x0x sequencer is off, and the synth just waits for midi notes)

..if i understand your issue correctly

if the problem is that you don't get the audio into FL - that's different
in FL, find a way to select an input source in the mixer, and make sure you're using ASIO (check sound configuration - sound out devices)

CRDM

Post by CRDM »

antto wrote:in midisync mode the x0x sequencer runs and tempo is determined by midi clocks
(thus for it to make sound, you should have programmed a pattern)
if you want to play the x0xb0x with midi notes, like a normal monophonic synthesizer - then use the midiplay mode (where the x0x sequencer is off, and the synth just waits for midi notes)

..if i understand your issue correctly

if the problem is that you don't get the audio into FL - that's different
in FL, find a way to select an input source in the mixer, and make sure you're using ASIO (check sound configuration - sound out devices)

I am getting audio in FL as stated in my post it's just I thought I was meant to have the x0x in Track (midisync) mode to be able to input note data in FL for the x0xbox.

Basically I want to be able to draw notes in the piano roll as well as play notes on my midi keyboard, neither of which are getting me any audio. I don't know whether or not it's something with the x0x or FL which needs changing, hence my dilema!

I can get audio on pattern (midisync mode) and when I press play in FL the x0x plays the pattern I last played that was created on the x0x.

I hope this is clear i'm trying to explain it as thoroughly as possible.

Cheers for lending a hand :D

altitude

Post by altitude »

CRDM wrote:

I am getting audio in FL as stated in my post it's just I thought I was meant to have the x0x in Track (midisync) mode to be able to input note data in FL for the x0xbox.

Basically I want to be able to draw notes in the piano roll as well as play notes on my midi keyboard, neither of which are getting me any audio. I don't know whether or not it's something with the x0x or FL which needs changing, hence my dilema!

I can get audio on pattern (midisync mode) and when I press play in FL the x0x plays the pattern I last played that was created on the x0x.

I hope this is clear i'm trying to explain it as thoroughly as possible.

Cheers for lending a hand :D
Nope, its like isak said, you want to be in midi play mode, not one of the sync modes. Only in midi play will the x0x respond to note data like a normal midi device. Not familiar with FL but make sure you are sending on the right midi channel for the midi track. The pattern selector doubles as the midi channel selector when in midi play mode

antto

Post by antto »

with the x0xb0x in midiPlay mode
put a MIDI Out instrument, configure the MIDI port
then, the bank selector determines the midi Channel (see which bank LED is lit)
set the instrument to that same channel - now play notes - the x0x should follow

CRDM

Post by CRDM »

Nice one cheers guys, thought it'd be something obvious will give this a go when i'm home.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”