encoder orientation?

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
shaft9000

encoder orientation?

Post by shaft9000 »

Hello,

first post here.

I recently received and built the adafruit xoxbox kit from Willzyx about 1-2 weeks ago.
It has been wonderful!

Everything is clearly described, except for how the encoders are supposed to go on....there are 16 possible positions but I see nothing other than the flat side of the knob-shaft as reference. so i am confused just which way the knob sits on the shaft, and how to know what mode one is in. the step selector is easy enough.

Consequently, I haven't loaded the firmware yet - because i have no idea how to select the bootloader distinct from the other 15 modes.

I can get sound from it at this point, but it only 'plays' one note across all buttons. I'm guessing it needs the firmware loaded, but i don't want to mess anything up by trying it without knowing which mode I'm in first.

antto

Re: encoder orientation?

Post by antto »

here the FUNC knob points up, BANK points to 4 or 5

shaft9000

Post by shaft9000 »

thanks

UPDATE

i've followed the instructions on this page to the letter http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/software/index.html
but i keep getting an error in Win7 that says: "The program can't start because MSVCR71.dll is missing"
so went to FTDI d/l'ed and installed the driver. seemed to all go smoothly according to instruction, UNTIL i opened the contorl software to bootload, and i get the SAME message as before about the missing driver! arggghhh!

i bought the kit from Willzyx w/ the USB chip pre-soldered

on my Vista machine i can start control, but it isn't associating my xoxbox with a COM port, serial or otherwise. the hex file doesn't seem to help, either.

this is thoroughly baffling. installations of all sorts had become so much easier until just recently - my A&H ZED r16 was fine for a year and a half and is now having major problems too.
my Win7 machine is BRAND NEW (lenovo H405)

wtf is going on here!

it's missing a driver, or getting some annoying error i have no idea how to solve.

UGGGGHHH.i thought win95 and all the driver troubles was last century but here i am wrestling with a BANNED USB driver. :x

altitude

Post by altitude »

Thats a C runtime error, has nothing to do with the driver. You need to update your .NET stuff, it should be in there iirc

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”