BANNED

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
antto

Re: BANNED

Post by antto »

(assuming the serial port is correct) did you propperly ran the x0xb0x in bootload mode?

gompie

Post by gompie »

I switched to bootloader and switched the x0x off and on, thats it right?

antto

Post by antto »

yes.. hm
does Connect to x0xb0x work?

Luap

Post by Luap »

Ok, a little late, but I finally got to try it with my x0xb0xes, and unfortunately, I get exactly the same problem as gompie.
I tried another USB port, and even another x0xb0x (I got 2), with the same result :|
BANNED sees the port, but doesn't seem to actually connect to the x0xb0x itself in any way.

gompie

Post by gompie »

antto wrote:yes.. hm
does Connect to x0xb0x work?
No, unfortunately also not...
I'm going to try if I get it to work on a windows machine, to rule out something wrong with my x0xb0x....

antto

Post by antto »

when you chose Connect to x0xb0x - what does it do? does it say it can't open the port, or does it wait for some reply from the x0x which takes forever?

gompie

Post by gompie »

antto wrote:when you chose Connect to x0xb0x - what does it do? does it say it can't open the port, or does it wait for some reply from the x0x which takes forever?
When I do that, first I get the information: "Ping.... BAD" and then its waiting for an answer (which takes forever) in the following mode:

Then when I tell the BANNED to Skip, it says the following:

The Windows version of BANNED reacts the same btw! So I guess it's my x0xb0x that does not respond in bootload mode. The BANNED program reacts exactly the same if I put the x0xb0x in another mode (say 'computer control' or 'midi play')

antto

Post by antto »

by these symptoms, it looks like the app doesn't get any data on the serial port at all
this could happen if:
1) the port is incorrect
2) port IS correct, but x0x is OFF
3) some of the port settings are not correct

for case #3 - the app should set the all the port settings needed, except for the baudrate (which is user selectable, in this case it's correct - 19200)
hm...

EDIT: the only thing i could think of is.. if you have some spare time and can get in the IRC channel (see my signature) i can recompile the win32 version and we can debug it to see what's wrong

altitude

Post by altitude »

good work! Really great to see this come to fruition. Are you going to keep the DOS interface or move to something more contemporary?

Works fine here on win7 64bit

antto

Post by antto »

i spent a lot of time to achieve this "DOS interface" :wink:
it's simple enough, and still very tweakable
it's harder for me to make a GUI application (you know, one with dialogs and widgets..)

thanks! i hope it's more reliable than c0ntr0l

gompie

Post by gompie »

antto wrote:by these symptoms, it looks like the app doesn't get any data on the serial port at all
this could happen if:
1) the port is incorrect
2) port IS correct, but x0x is OFF
3) some of the port settings are not correct

for case #3 - the app should set the all the port settings needed, except for the baudrate (which is user selectable, in this case it's correct - 19200)
hm...

EDIT: the only thing i could think of is.. if you have some spare time and can get in the IRC channel (see my signature) i can recompile the win32 version and we can debug it to see what's wrong
Thanks for the offer, I have no idea how to setup a user account with IRC :(
And I also tried c0ntr0l, which also had a problem connecting to my x0xb0x. I'm afraid it's not the program that needs recompiling, but a fault in my x0xb0x causing this.

The port setting is correct, I see it appear and disappear on a mac and on a pc when I connect and disconnect the USB connector. The ones that appear are the ones I use.

Luap

Post by Luap »

gompie wrote:
Thanks for the offer, I have no idea how to setup a user account with IRC :(
And I also tried c0ntr0l, which also had a problem connecting to my x0xb0x. I'm afraid it's not the program that needs recompiling, but a fault in my x0xb0x causing this.

The port setting is correct, I see it appear and disappear on a mac and on a pc when I connect and disconnect the USB connector. The ones that appear are the ones I use.
c0ntr0l is crappy at the best of times. But it usually gets the job done eventually.
As I mentioned though, I have exactly the same problem as you with BANNED on my Mac, and thats with 2 different x0xb0xes that I know work fine.
If you happen to have a ModeMachines or TechnologyTransplant x0xb0x though, then it may be missing the bootloader on the MCU, which would also cause the problem you are experiencing.

Meanwhile, i'll keep trying..
I think we also need more people to give this a go and test it! :?

antto

Post by antto »

even if the bootloader isn't there - there shouldn't be any problem with "Connect to x0xb0x" as that "talks" with the Firmware and not the bootloader

altho, i'm not sure about very old versions of the stock firmware, have no idea if they had the same serial protocol at all, i assume everyone has at least adafruit 1.05 or sokkos (which is derived from it)

Luap

Post by Luap »

Thats true Antto.. So I figured I would try the "Computer Control" functions. And they worked. I then went to try the boot loader firmware updater again, and then that worked too! :D
But technically, I didn't do anything different at all in order to try uploading the firmware. I'll do some more digging around.
Still, even if it's a bit shaky, it sure was nice to get firmware into my x0x via a Mac for a change! Thats been a long time coming.. :wink:

antto

Post by antto »

so now it started working?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”