Building a x0xb0x without the kit

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
evilxsystems

Building a x0xb0x without the kit

Post by evilxsystems »

So this project is supposed to be open sorce right? So we should be able to build one of these things without a kit. Where is a good place to get the PCBs made? and what do I need to program the eprom with the boot loader? Is there a thread somewhere that has the best sources for all the parts?

pempelson

Post by pempelson »

evilxsystems, just type "gerber" into the search option of this board
and you will easily reach a comment of ladyada about your special request.
:?

greetings for a nice weekend,

<p>
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:38 am

Milkmansound wrote:
you think they are gonna release the eagle files to print DIY pcb's
and give a parts list for this after the first 100?

in theory you could make the pcbs from the schematic we're already put
up. most likely, we're going to do as many runs as possible before
releasing the gerber files.
sorry if i got you wrong on this....

but making the PCB at your own -hmmm- sounds like cloning the clone ;)

so instead you could take the original schematics of the TB and....

Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

you are not going to have much luck making this without the gerber files - I mean, who friggin knows whats on that microprocessor? I certainly don't. This is not really open source - these people designed the kit, and are selling it for some sort of profit, even if its for pennies on the kit. They did the work, so let them get what they can out of it until interest wanes, and then who knows.

Personally, its so much easier and cheaper to get the kit from them - printing a one off PCB and front panel is not gonna be cost effective - and if you are making 25? Well, you see why they need to wait until the project begins to peter out...

With all the 303 clones out there, I can't even imagine someone wanting to sell this commercially - but hey, they did a good job and the x0xb0x is a killer box! I stand behind them protecting their interests - no hurry on the gerbers!

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

I have no desire to rip anybody off...it's just that I'm so far down on the waiting list (if I'm on the list at all) that I'm worried I won't be able to buy one. I guess I thought the project was more open source than it is. I'd MUCH rather buy a kit than try to put one together myself, but if I can't get a kit for a year or something, it would be nice to know where I could get all the stuff to make one for myself.

Milkmansound

Post by Milkmansound »

its called futureretro revolution :P

seriously though, I am surprised that they are not just spanking these kits out. The hard part is over - the things work, the parts are sourced, the PCB is laid out... maybe cause its just like 1 or 2 people doing it all themselves?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

Milkmansound wrote:you are not going to have much luck making this without the gerber files - I mean, who friggin knows whats on that microprocessor? I certainly don't. This is not really open source - these people designed the kit, and are selling it for some sort of profit, even if its for pennies on the kit. They did the work, so let them get what they can out of it until interest wanes, and then who knows.

Personally, its so much easier and cheaper to get the kit from them - printing a one off PCB and front panel is not gonna be cost effective - and if you are making 25? Well, you see why they need to wait until the project begins to peter out...

With all the 303 clones out there, I can't even imagine someone wanting to sell this commercially - but hey, they did a good job and the x0xb0x is a killer box! I stand behind them protecting their interests - no hurry on the gerbers!
actually, it is open source. the firmware is available for free under an open source license, as is the schematic. there is no reason you couldnt build one yourself using those two parts. just follow the schematic with equivalent parts and program in a microcontroller. making/selling kits is not incompatible with giving away all the information!
as they say "Free as in speech, not as in beer"

djarago

Post by djarago »

You certainly can make your own pcb off the schematic, but it will take you a long time. And if you make a mistake then you've wasted alot of money on a PCB and parts and time. Even if you had the gerber files you will still have a difficult time finding some of the parts. I think you should just get your name on the waiting list and wait.

Only the hex is available for the firmware (which is all you need), however, considering the project is supposed to be open source the source code should really be provided. Especially since the firmware is hosted on sourceforge. No source = violation of source forge's agreement. That's the same thing as putting up a .exe file there and saying its open source.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

djarago wrote:You certainly can make your own pcb off the schematic, but it will take you a long time. And if you make a mistake then you've wasted alot of money on a PCB and parts and time. Even if you had the gerber files you will still have a difficult time finding some of the parts. I think you should just get your name on the waiting list and wait.
who says you need to make a PCB? just breadboard it! then you can rackmount it!
djarago wrote: Only the hex is available for the firmware (which is all you need), however, considering the project is supposed to be open source the source code should really be provided. Especially since the firmware is hosted on sourceforge. No source = violation of source forge's agreement. That's the same thing as putting up a .exe file there and saying its open source.
Look in the CVS repository. All the source code, including the bootloader, is there! I dont make source packages because the firmware code is still being tinkered with & most people just want the .hex anyways (to bootload with)

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

ladyada wrote: who says you need to make a PCB? just breadboard it! then you can rackmount it!
Nah that would be a pretty ugly breadboard...plus I want the shiny silver box :)

Is there any sort of ETA on the second run?

-jason

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

evilxsystems wrote: Is there any sort of ETA on the second run?
I am/have been desperately trying to source the rare components. yes, it takes months. no, i have no idea why the industry takes so long, but "6 week lead time" is pretty standard. as soon as i secure the rare parts i'll go forward with ordering all the non-rare parts and getting more boards & panels made. i just dont want to drop thousands on PCBs (which I can order whenever) when I dont have the 2SC1583's...yaknow? :)

djarago

Post by djarago »

sorry i didnt realize the source was available since i only saw the hex. wouldn't using a breadboard be too noisy though?

scalefree

Post by scalefree »

ladyada wrote: I am/have been desperately trying to source the rare components.
If you're looking for hard-to-find components, have you looked at http://www.alibaba.com/manufacturers/50 ... onent.html yet? The place is amazing, I tell you truly. If there's nobody who already makes em, just post a Buy order & wait for someone to offer to make them for you.

Tim

scalefree

Post by scalefree »

ladyada wrote:when I dont have the 2SC1583's...yaknow? :)
What're the specs on these things? How many you need? 25? Even http://alldatasheets.com didn't have it, go figure. I found a datasheet in Japanese, that doesn't do me any good. Well, I posted a Buy order just for the hell of it with what little info I have, let's see if anyone bites.

Tim

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

evilxsystems

Post by evilxsystems »

is this it?
http://www.donberg.ie/descript/2/2sc1583f.htm

Anyway, good luck finding everything!
:)

-jason

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”