Re: Midi play xoxbox problem

by xonec on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:27 pm

Nice, I found the tutorial!! tomorrow it's xoxbox abuse time! :lol:

thanks for the help guys!!!
xonec

by xonec on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Pffff. Still can't get my xoxbox to play sync in midi mode. I used the tutorial like you said but I just don't get the sound in Sync. I tried to set the input in sync in preferences, changes the port type from MME to Direct sound but nothing helps. I'm getting really frustrated
xonec

by LoopStar on Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Getting the x0x to be 100% in sync with Live is really difficult. First of all you need to get a low latency driver for your soundboard. Best are ASIO drivers but you don't get them for every soundboard. Then you should check the settings of the soundcard (buffer size, input bitrate and sample frequency) and try to optimize your settings. But be careful... setting things too tight might result in getting issues with the stability of your setup (like crackling noises, high cpu usage and such). When you've reduced the audio latency of your setup as much as possible you have to set the midi latency in Live's preferences.
website: http://www.myownmusic.de/artistpage_info.php?artist_id=141458
LoopStar

by MMM on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:07 pm

xonec wrote:Pffff. Still can't get my xoxbox to play sync in midi mode. I used the tutorial like you said but I just don't get the sound in Sync. I tried to set the input in sync in preferences, changes the port type from MME to Direct sound but nothing helps. I'm getting really frustrated

Neither MME nor Direct Sound would be my preferred driver model. Does you audio hardware have ASIO drivers as well?

If you use the xoxbox in keyboard mode and use it to trigger one of Live's internal instruments - do you get a significant latency? Does it feel "sluggish"?
MMM

by roxxx303 on Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:30 am

xonec wrote:Now I have a new problem: the audio signal from my xoxbox has a little latency. I tried to fix it by changing the sync delay in my midi sync preferences but that doesnt seem to help :/

1. Another important thing for low latency during recording in Live: Every effect used in Live increases the latency.
For example reverbs have a big latency. Also equalizers, compressors, delays, limiters, all Vsts etc.

2. After recording adjust the start position of the clip so that the the first peak of your recording matches the "1". After that everything will be in sync!
roxxx303

by Altitude on Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:15 pm

Live is not what I would call "tight" midi wise. I did a big test a few years ago comparing various USB midi interfaces and how they behaved with different software programs and live was hands down the worst as far as latency goes
Altitude

by isak on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:52 am

Hello.

When I do live record there is a bit of latency, after I record the pattern on banned midi channel I go to the midi channel press control A for selecting all the notes and then press Q.
It's automatecly arranges to the start.

When I play outdoor live show I put the position switch on midi play and all the patterns are ready in the midi Chennel on banned so there will be no latency.

I hope it helps.

Cheers,
Isak E.
isak

by LoopStar on Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:38 pm

Altitude wrote:Live is not what I would call "tight" midi wise. I did a big test a few years ago comparing various USB midi interfaces and how they behaved with different software programs and live was hands down the worst as far as latency goes

Unfortunately that's kinda true. I experienced the midi-part of Live to be pretty unreliable in my setup. Even with only one x0xb0x connected it always drifted out of sync after some time. Rumor is Ableton haven't touched the midi code for years. If you're doing soft-synths only or audio loops everythig works fine, tough.
website: http://www.myownmusic.de/artistpage_info.php?artist_id=141458
LoopStar