convenient way to power 3 x0xes
Moderators: Altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, mome rath, phono

convenient way to power 3 x0xes

by LoopStar on Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:47 pm

Hello everybody,

last winter I finished my third x0xb0x and slowly I'm getting tired of juggling around 3 separate power adaptors. So I'm wondering if there is a more convenient way to power my 3 x0xes? I have already thought of getting a "powerbrick" (which are pretty handy when used on a gutiar-pedalboard) but unfortunately they are dc only most of the time and also pretty expensive. How about building a spliiter-box or spltter-cable?

thanks in advance!
website: http://www.myownmusic.de/artistpage_info.php?artist_id=141458
LoopStar
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:52 pm

Re: convenient way to power 3 x0xes

by MMM on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:27 pm

All you need is one power supply (even a wall wart) with sufficient power reserves. Cable harnesses to connect the AC inputs of the xoxboxes are pretty common (they are used for guitar effects as well).
MMM
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:51 am

Re: convenient way to power 3 x0xes

by LoopStar on Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:48 pm

MMM wrote:All you need is one power supply (even a wall wart) with sufficient power reserves. Cable harnesses to connect the AC inputs of the xoxboxes are pretty common (they are used for guitar effects as well).


Thanks for your reply. So the basic dc cable for splitting the input from the power supply to 3 (or more) outputs works in this case?
(something like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_dc5.htm). I'm asking because besides the x0xb0xes I own no small electronic devices that use ac power, so I was a bit unsure.
website: http://www.myownmusic.de/artistpage_info.php?artist_id=141458
LoopStar
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:52 pm

Re: convenient way to power 3 x0xes

by MMM on Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:40 pm

LoopStar wrote:Thanks for your reply. So the basic dc cable for splitting the input from the power supply to 3 (or more) outputs works in this case?
(something like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_dc5.htm). I'm asking because besides the x0xb0xes I own no small electronic devices that use ac power, so I was a bit unsure.


I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work as long as the physical size of the connectors is right. As you noticed this is AC so polarity wouldn't play a role here.

The power supply for a single xoxbox is recommended as "300-500mA"; so for three xoxboxes a 1000mA supply should suffice. ebay has plenty of those.
MMM
 
Posts: 431
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:51 am

Re: convenient way to power 3 x0xes

by LoopStar on Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:33 am

MMM wrote:
LoopStar wrote:Thanks for your reply. So the basic dc cable for splitting the input from the power supply to 3 (or more) outputs works in this case?
(something like this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_dc5.htm). I'm asking because besides the x0xb0xes I own no small electronic devices that use ac power, so I was a bit unsure.


I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work as long as the physical size of the connectors is right. As you noticed this is AC so polarity wouldn't play a role here.

The power supply for a single xoxbox is recommended as "300-500mA"; so for three xoxboxes a 1000mA supply should suffice. ebay has plenty of those.


Thanks again. Guess I'll try that approach and check out how good it works.
website: http://www.myownmusic.de/artistpage_info.php?artist_id=141458
LoopStar
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:52 pm