Tuning x0xb0x

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
philip_morison

Tuning x0xb0x

Post by philip_morison »

Have followed what previous post say about tuning vco'c with tm 4 and 5.

I don't have a pc so cannot use the vst tunning plugin.

i have no access to a occiliscope so have been tuning with a chromatic tuner.

everytime i tune one end of the octave to C, the next octave at C has slipped out, so tuning that back to C the octave previously tuned slips out. Going back forth between doesn't seem to do anything just shift the whole tuning of the octave up and down. Can't seem to caliberate these and get them so they are fixed and do not create this domino effect that i previously read in another post.

Is it my tunning technique or could there be something wrong with the componants i.e tm4 or 5

Any can help !!!!

antto

Re: Tuning x0xb0x

Post by antto »

well, you're doing it the hard way

even if you don't have any helping tools (scope or the vst plugin..) you can tune it by ear in 2 simple steps
program C notes at different octaves, play the pattern

step #1
tweak TM5 till the C notes sound as 1 octave appart

step #2
play a reference C tone (from your daw or some tuned instrument) and tweak TM4 till it sounds the right frequency

Note: first complete step 1, ONLY then go to step 2...
Note: step 2 isn't too important cuz you can compensate for it at any time with the TUNE knob on the front (that's what it is for)

and DON'T try to be perfect, it's analog, it will always be off
if it doesn't sound "off" to your ear - it's good enough :wink:

antto

Post by antto »

actually, there's something that can help you in step1

put the x0x thru a feedback delay (either a pedal or from your DAW..)
mix the delay 50:50 with the dry signal and set the delay time to about 1 note
so when your x0x plays a C note - the delay is giving the previous C note (which is on a different octave)
feedback isn't needed, but you can try if it helps

so now, as you tweak TM5 - as you get closer to getting all C notes to be 1 octave apart - you will hear less "beating" and/or "phasing" from the delayed version

hope this helps

mmm

Post by mmm »

philip_morison wrote: i have no access to a occiliscope so have been tuning with a chromatic tuner.

everytime i tune one end of the octave to C, the next octave at C has slipped out, so tuning that back to C the octave previously tuned slips out. Going back forth between doesn't seem to do anything just shift the whole tuning of the octave up and down. Can't seem to caliberate these and get them so they are fixed and do not create this domino effect that i previously read in another post.
Try the following: Try to tune the "basic" octave C to C untransposed. Once it is in tune check the chromatic notes of that scale. Are they all in tune as well? Pay attention especially to the step G# to A.
If you find any anomalies here please report back.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”