Bricked x0xb0x, I'm stuck

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Optic

Bricked x0xb0x, I'm stuck

Post by Optic »

Hello! I have a x0xb0x that was working fine a few months ago. Then it sat on the shelf for a while and went through a move. Now it seems to be bricked. When I turn it on in any mode, I get a random selection of LEDs on (it changes from time to time). Pushing buttons doesn't do anything. I opened it up and looked for anything obviously wrong (I'm not that hardware savvy -- didn't build this one), but didn't find anything. It was running SokkOS.

Because it lights up and doesn't respond, I guessed that the firmware was somehow corrupted. I just went through the process of trying to reflash the OS with no luck, though it's hard for me to tell if it's that I don't have a working bootloader or that something else in the chain isn't working. As far as I can tell though, it's set up correctly.

So now I'm stuck. I don't know what else I can do, and I haven't had any luck finding someone willing to repair it. Has anyone seen this situation before and have ideas? Anything else I can try? Know someone who knows their way around a x0xb0x willing to do repairs?

thanks
mike

antto

Re: Bricked x0xb0x, I'm stuck

Post by antto »

yes, the symptoms are as if the firmware is dead
how did you tried flashing it? via c0ntr0l?
you might want to try BANNED as it will at least give more meaningful error messages

note: BANNED v0.99 has a bug so don't attempt to flash experimental hex files, it's fine for the standard ones (stock firmware, sokkos, n0nx0x, etc...)
v1.00 is going to be released these days, with the bug fixed

Luap

Post by Luap »

Are you definitely using the same power supply as you previously used with it?
I only ask because if you use one with a low MA rating, you can get exactly those symptoms, especially if using high current LEDs.
(It happened to me once, and caused much head scratching for a while!)

Optic

Post by Optic »

I'm using c0ntr0l for windows. I have a mac, but couldn't figure out how to do it from there (the occasional links I found to a mac c0ntr0l were dead), but dug up an old windows XP machine. I'll try BANNED!

I'm not positive about the power supply actually. I thought I had the right one, but with the move, it may have gotten mixed up. What should it be rated?

Thank you!

Optic

Post by Optic »

Got BANNED and tried it from my mac. As with c0ntr0l, the x0xb0x just doesn't seem to respond. I'm guessing hosed firmware and no bootloader, unless the problem is the power supply. The build manual says 300-500mA, and the one I'm using is 500mA, so it should be fine.

unfortunately I don't know how to get firmware onto the thing without a bootloader.

roxxx303

Post by roxxx303 »

Optic wrote:Got BANNED and tried it from my mac. As with c0ntr0l, the x0xb0x just doesn't seem to respond. I'm guessing hosed firmware and no bootloader, unless the problem is the power supply. The build manual says 300-500mA, and the one I'm using is 500mA, so it should be fine.

unfortunately I don't know how to get firmware onto the thing without a bootloader.
Is the power supply AC (output)? Most power supplies use DC (output) but x0xb0x needs AC!!! (And some people need AC/DC :P )

antto

Post by antto »

Optic wrote:Got BANNED and tried it from my mac. As with c0ntr0l, the x0xb0x just doesn't seem to respond. I'm guessing hosed firmware and no bootloader, unless the problem is the power supply. The build manual says 300-500mA, and the one I'm using is 500mA, so it should be fine.

what does BANNED say?

Optic

Post by Optic »

The power supply is 9VAC.

BANNED says something about can't get deviceID string. On another thread (http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=33812), I found that explained as the x0x doesn't have a bootloader, the x0x is not really in BOOTLOAD mode, or the BANNED settings are wrong. The switch is set to bootload, and I think the port/rate settings are correct, so I'm guessing I just don't have a bootloader.

Is there anyone selling chips with firmware loaded on them?

antto

Post by antto »

with the knob pointing at BOOTLOAD - switch the x0x OFF and then ON again, and try one more time
now if that doesn't do it - then probably there's no bootloader

i think both x0xsh0p.de and willzyx sell CPUs with firmware (and bootloader)

Optic

Post by Optic »

I think I tried that but will give it one more go tonight, thanks. If that doesn't work, I guess it's new chip time (and try to find someone who can put it in for me; I unfortunately am hell with a soldering iron).

antto

Post by antto »

well hopefully your CPU should be socketed, not directly soldered on the PCB
if so, you can simply pull it out and "plug in" the new chip
pulling out the old chip could be tricky, if you want to keep the chip undamaged (so you can sell it for example) then google around on that, or let someone experienced do it

if it's not socketed, they i strongly recommend soldering a socket there

Optic

Post by Optic »

Ah, I wasn't sure if it'd be soldered. Thanks for all the help -- hopefully I can get my x0xb0x back in action without too much difficulty

Optic

Post by Optic »

I finally received my replacement chip from Willzyx last week and got it into the x0xb0x over the weekend, and it worked like a champ! Thank you for the help. I'm so glad to be x0xing again!

antto

Post by antto »

yey! :mrgreen:

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”