Just got the x0xb0x. I am now stuck.

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Aphelion

Just got the x0xb0x. I am now stuck.

Post by Aphelion »

Hi everyone!

I just recieved my pre-built x0xb0x and since this is my first piece of hardware I don't know what to do. c0ntrol tells me that it cannot find the x0x (I've tried all the ports, the only one that responded briefly was port 3 and that disconnected after a second). I was able to flash SokkOS 1.9 with c0nbox but when I try to connect to the x0x it's stuck on "Firmware Version". I don't know what to do and I would really love some help here. I'm afraid that I will brick it..

rarara

Re: Just got the x0xb0x. I am now stuck.

Post by rarara »

what mode is it in when you try and connect - think it needs to be 'computer controlled' if you simply want to use c0ntrol rather that update the firmware (which uses boot mode)? and i take it you have switched off/on since updating the firmware - it won't do anything until you do

otherwise, does the thing play in pattern edit mode?

antto

Post by antto »

which version of BANNED did you use and did you follow the right procedure for uploading firmware as described in the readme or the video tutorial..? :?

Aphelion

Post by Aphelion »

antto wrote:which version of BANNED did you use and did you follow the right procedure for uploading firmware as described in the readme or the video tutorial..? :?
Conbox 1.0.

It works in pattern mode and it works if I use it via my interface in FL, it just doesn't show up in MIDI devices and there is no way for me to edit patterns in FL itself, only via pattern mode.

antto

Post by antto »

so currently you have the firmware running? that's good

i am not sure what you mean with editing patterns from FL
the x0xb0x has an internal sequencer, with which you program patterns
if you want to control it externally - there is MidiPlay mode where the synth acts as a monophonic analog synth and takes midi Note messages
you cannot "manipulate" the patterns from FL

Aphelion

Post by Aphelion »

antto wrote:so currently you have the firmware running? that's good

i am not sure what you mean with editing patterns from FL
the x0xb0x has an internal sequencer, with which you program patterns
if you want to control it externally - there is MidiPlay mode where the synth acts as a monophonic analog synth and takes midi Note messages
you cannot "manipulate" the patterns from FL
I want it to play MIDI notes that I program in FL. Or to be able to play the x0xb0x with an external MIDI keyboard. Either of those things I'm okay with.

antto

Post by antto »

then "MIDIPLAY" mode is for you
use the BANK knob to select the midi channel on which the x0x will respond (it will be lit on the bank LEDs)

Aphelion

Post by Aphelion »

antto wrote:then "MIDIPLAY" mode is for you
use the BANK knob to select the midi channel on which the x0x will respond (it will be lit on the bank LEDs)
Thanks! Only one problem: FL won't recognize the x0xb0x. What do I do now?

antto

Post by antto »

well, i don't know how you expect it to be "recognized" ...
the x0xb0x is not supposed to be recognized, you simply use the MIDI IN on the x0xb0x and a MIDI-OUT from your computer (assuming you have one)

don't confuse the USB cable, it is not a midi-over-usb, it's more like a serial port, it serves only for firmware update and pattern backup and such

in FL, you should have your MIDI interface set up correctly, and then use a MIDI-Out plugin to generate notes at the same "port" as your midi interface, so that these notes go out to the x0x

Aphelion

Post by Aphelion »

antto wrote:well, i don't know how you expect it to be "recognized" ...
the x0xb0x is not supposed to be recognized, you simply use the MIDI IN on the x0xb0x and a MIDI-OUT from your computer (assuming you have one)

don't confuse the USB cable, it is not a midi-over-usb, it's more like a serial port, it serves only for firmware update and pattern backup and such

in FL, you should have your MIDI interface set up correctly, and then use a MIDI-Out plugin to generate notes at the same "port" as your midi interface, so that these notes go out to the x0x
Okay! Which plugin would you recommend? And is there a way to know what BPM the x0x is in? Thanks for the quick answers to what I think must be very tiring questions. I am very grateful that you want to help out this newbie figure out his x0x. :)

antto

Post by antto »

FL has an internal plugin "MIDI Out" iirc
check the manual for details

when the x0x is in "MIDIPLAY" mode - the internal sequencer is not used, and the x0x entirely listens for midi notes, thus "tempo" makes no sense
your DAW sends the notes whenever they occure - the x0x plays them immediately

Aphelion

Post by Aphelion »

antto wrote:FL has an internal plugin "MIDI Out" iirc
check the manual for details

when the x0x is in "MIDIPLAY" mode - the internal sequencer is not used, and the x0x entirely listens for midi notes, thus "tempo" makes no sense
your DAW sends the notes whenever they occure - the x0x plays them immediately

Okay. I got the correct cables, hooked everything up and now I bump into yet another problem: MIDI Sync won't actually send the notes to the x0x. I don't know which port the x0x is on, how to send them, etc. The cables are all plugged in correctly and the x0x is in MIDI play mode, I made sure. Any info as to how to configure this in FL Studio would be greatly appreciated, if you could spare a moment. :)

antto

Post by antto »

i'm not sure whether you are trying to
A) sync the x0xb0x from the DAW (aka slave it)
or
B) control the x0xb0x via midi notes from the DAW (aka external sequencing)

if A - set the x0xb0x to PATTERN PLAY (MIDISYNC) and configure your DAW to output CLOCK (aka midisync) see the documentation for more details..
if B - set the x0xb0x to MIDIPLAY mode, and use something that generates midi notes and sends them to the midi output
when in MIDIPLAY mode - the BANK LEDs will show you which midi channel is currently used for these notes, so send notes to this channel, or change it (with the BANK knob)

hm, it seems i'm repeating myself :?

Aphelion

Post by Aphelion »

antto wrote:i'm not sure whether you are trying to
A) sync the x0xb0x from the DAW (aka slave it)
or
B) control the x0xb0x via midi notes from the DAW (aka external sequencing)

if A - set the x0xb0x to PATTERN PLAY (MIDISYNC) and configure your DAW to output CLOCK (aka midisync) see the documentation for more details..
if B - set the x0xb0x to MIDIPLAY mode, and use something that generates midi notes and sends them to the midi output
when in MIDIPLAY mode - the BANK LEDs will show you which midi channel is currently used for these notes, so send notes to this channel, or change it (with the BANK knob)

hm, it seems i'm repeating myself :?
I'm trying to play notes I've programmed in my DAW via MIDI. I'm sorry that you have to repeat yourself, this stuff is just so new to me that I have no clue what I'm doing. The MIDI plugin allows me to configure which channel it sends out to, which bank, which port etc...and I don't really know what that means. I've looked around on the net a bit and the x0x is supposed to show up in my DAW as a sequencer too? If so, it's not doing that.

antto

Post by antto »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WvdoH2iHj4
check this, specifically after 02:00 where he explains how to configure the m-audio Venom synth
it uses midi-over-usb, so ignore that detail, the x0x uses midi

basically, in FL, in the midi settings enable your midi output and set the "port" (this is a virtual thing, it only has a meaning within FL) ... set it to 1 for example
then in the "Midi Out" plugin, select the same port number, this way, the midi data from this plugin will be directed towards your real midi interface and out to the x0xb0x

ignore the "bank" and "preset" stuff, in the "Midi Out" plugin you only need to set the port, and the midi channel

in the midi settings, the x0xb0x will not show up as a "x0xb0x" because it's not a midi interface itself
your midi interface would (in my case it's an m-audio delta audiophile 2496 card, and it shows up as "Delta AP MIDI" ..)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”