Limor appreciation thread

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DiscoVolante

Post by DiscoVolante »

There's something creepy about posting pictures of Limor on her own site, where (deliberate or not) she's maintained a certain level of anonymity.

That said, I'd like to throw in my praise of LadyAda for all the work she's done. The x0xb0x is a pretty amazing kit. The instrument itself is rad, and the kit is nice and complete. The fabrication instructions are so thorough. Really, the x0x is unparallelled in the world of DIY synths. Hooray for Limor! And The German too.

zero01101

Post by zero01101 »

DiscoVolante wrote:There's something creepy about posting pictures of Limor on her own site, where (deliberate or not) she's maintained a certain level of anonymity.
the way that was worded just cracks me up :lol: but alas, not entirely anonymous. there is a picture of her available via the main homepage, if you click the PWR button.

but agreed regarding the kit. this thing is so well laid out. i cant WAIT to finish mine and start rockin out on it.

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

DiscoVolante wrote: That said, I'd like to throw in my praise of LadyAda for all the work she's done. The x0xb0x is a pretty amazing kit. The instrument itself is rad, and the kit is nice and complete. The fabrication instructions are so thorough. Really, the x0x is unparallelled in the world of DIY synths. Hooray for Limor! And The German too.
Agreed, after digging in after recieving #121, I'm so impressed. Limor could crush every DIY site out there if she wanted. ;)

moogah

Post by moogah »

"Limor could crush every DIY site out there if she wanted."

Well.. the x0x is undoubtedly the most professional, all-in-one kit I've ever come across, but there's a certian dutchman out there who's got some heavyweight DIY cred too. In time tho, after the x0x808 and x0xJupiter8..... ;)

DiscoVolante

Post by DiscoVolante »

Oh man, an 808 would be sweet. I've been secretly hoping for it too. No pressure, Ladyada!

Pardon my ignorance, but who is this dutchman you speak of?

moogah

Post by moogah »

First.... tell me what those cats are doing..

Thurston Klose. Note that the kits are nothling like the x0x, almost completely DIY, but the number of different things you can build is amazing.

DiscoVolante

Post by DiscoVolante »

moogah wrote:First.... tell me what those cats are doing..
Well, I'm pretty sure what the two on the bottom are doing. I have no idea what the guy on top thinks he's doing. The one on the bottom seems to be enjoying it though.

Thorsten Klose, eh? The stuff on his site looks pretty sweet. Perhaps a future project...

etaoin

Post by etaoin »

Thorsten Klose is German, isn't he?

By the way, a DIY 808 already exists. Check this site:
http://xlargex.xl.funpic.de/

DiscoVolante

Post by DiscoVolante »

Etaoin wrote:By the way, a DIY 808 already exists. Check this site:
http://xlargex.xl.funpic.de/
Yeah, I've seen that one too. It looks great. It's a bit of a leap forward for me at this point, since I'm pretty new to electronics. Sourcing all the parts seems like quite a task, and there's basically no instructions. Perhaps another future project... Anyway, this brings me back to why I think Limor did such a great job on this kit.

subatomic

Post by subatomic »

DiscoVolante wrote:Sourcing all the parts seems like quite a task, and there's basically no instructions.
one of the reasons limor will crush the competition. x0x so rocks...
organizing a DIY as if it were a lego kit makes it really really accessable
That combined with the trendy/popular subject material (classic synths we all want), puts this at the top.

limor rocks, woowoo.

(joking aside, there's good competition and I have nothing against them, just piling on the love for ladyada since this is the love piling thread :wink: )
Last edited by subatomic on Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest »

Etaoin wrote:Thorsten Klose is German, isn't he?
yes, definitely. lives in munich. at least did so when he sent me one of the first midibox prototypes... back in 98 or so.

kokoon

Post by kokoon »

it would be fantastic if limor adopted that microlarge 808 DIY clone... and provide it like she does x0xb0x... anyone looked at the components in that thing? are they hard to get?

here's the partlist: http://xlargex.xl.funpic.de/mainframe.p ... tent_id=10

moogah

Post by moogah »

I'm tellin ya, x0x808 would be HOT! It's gotta have the colored step buttons tho ;) I've been in the process of collecting the parts for a few months now. Nothing thats too hard to find really, not nearly as many rare parts as a 303, however, making the boards and assembling some good looking hardware is difficult! The sequencer and midi board hasn't been released yet either, apparantly there are some bugs.

"Thorsten Klose is German, isn't he?"

:oops: I was under the assumption that .de was Denmark....

ceedub

Post by ceedub »

Don't forget about the TR-909 clone out there: http://www.introspectiv.eclipse.co.uk/

I'm in the process of getting the parts as we speak, and chose this over the 808 because he provides the PCB's and ROMs for $100 US. I've never wet-etched my own PCB's, and it would cost about that much to have good PCB's made for the 808 anyway...

Anyone in the Chicago area that wants to be geeky with me and throw down on some projects (musical or technological, or BOTH), let me know. I'm in the process of finishing up a MIDI box SID, and have the components for a second one that I wouldn't mind letting go of. I'm also going to be rackmounting my Juno 60 after Fed Ex broke the phuck out of it.

So, to pile on: Limor, I want to thank you for both catapulting me into electronics while, at the same time, fulfilling a dream of mine for the last ten years to own a TB-303. Because, no matter what the purists say (and many did identify which one was the 'true' 303 in a direct head-to-head with nothing else in the track), when this baby gets thrown in and compressed together with everything else in a track, it's a goddamn TB-303.

etaoin

Post by etaoin »

kokoon wrote:it would be fantastic if limor adopted that microlarge 808 DIY clone... and provide it like she does x0xb0x... anyone looked at the components in that thing? are they hard to get?
For those who read Dutch: http://www.synthforum.nl/forums/showthr ... adid=48447. For others, just look at the pictures ;)
The guy who's building that one has sourced all parts from BANNED, which is about as bog standard a supplier as you can get. PCBs were 34 euro (including postage to NL).

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”