Electric x0xb0x acid test

x0x0x0x0x0x

Moderators: altitude, adafruit_support_bill, adafruit, phono, hamburgers

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Which witch is which?

Left channel is x0xb0x. Right channel is TB-303
48%
Right channel is x0xb0x. Left channel is TB-303
37%
Other (you can't tell the difference, think both are TB-303, both are x0xb0x, one is Rebirth, etc. etc.)
15%

Total votes: 27

ottob

Post by ottob »

To my ears the left side sounds a little bit more "hollow". On the left, the basic frequency of the note within the waveform is slightly lower than the harmonics (I analysed it with a fast spectral analysator), the 7th and 9th harmonics are 1,5dB "louder". This will cut through in the mix very good, but the fundamental "bass feel" is not as solid as on the right side.

As I never owned a real 303, I cannot tell which side is what, I can tell you I would use the right side timbre for creating a real bass within a arrangement, and the lift side to "spice up" the mix.

Congratulations to the developers, whatever side the x0x is, both sound wonderful, unique and special to me.

c-frog

Post by c-frog »

Since I've not owned an own copy of a real TB303 I can't really tell the which is which.. There was some difference soundwise though.. Both sounded damn good anyway, perfect for acid bleeps ;)..

I'm new here anyway.

/Daniel

dougt

Post by dougt »

If the x0x is indeed the one on the left there are some bad pops/clicks that are very noticable in pattern2 starting at 0:08 and again very noticable at 2:20... They sound like they could be DC offset probs with the envelope and hopefully will be corrected...

Doug

BijouBittersolie

Post by BijouBittersolie »

So what is the answer?

frEak03

Post by frEak03 »

well after reading the posts ..hmm..i'm going against the grain and gonna stick my neck out and say that the right channel is the emulation (x0x) and the left is the real deal (303)..why....??.

cos the right channel is to clean and whistley in the higher freakencies (when res is cranked up) , Where as the left channel res is more gritty and warm (a 303)and less clean-whistle-y ,although this is less noticeable on the 2nd pattern..

quiet a few of the common hardware303 emu's get the higher frequencies wrong, lots of them full down when it comes to the grittness and warmth in the higher registars of the sound. (and that ubber pc 303 emu the ABL does to a certain extent ,imho)..and some of them have slightly phatter wav forms when it comes to bassy frequenciers (which if i'm right would tally in with the other posts bout the bass being fuller in the right side (x0x))

also the comment about the leftside(303) having harmonics more capable of cutting through a mix would tally up with another known difference between some emu's and the real thing..this feature of the 303 is one of the things that make it unique..as i'm sure u'll all know and hear it's renowned for having that cutting edge ..it was one of the things that got it famous in the first place and a number of famous 303 peeps(including dj pierre, spanky and the otherone) commented on this as a reason they took to it ..just had this energy to cut through and energise. Read somewhere..tho not in alot of places so dunno how real it is that as well as the wonky filter slope adding sommet to the grit (24db but kinda 18db) the low pass filter was a bit towards a bandpass and this helped give the 303 it's nasal cutting quality.

if i had some spare dosh.. i'd gladly go on the beta test..tempted to sell my mc202..but don't want 2.

if i'm wrong then i've just waffled aloada poo and look a bit silly..but i can cope with that :lol: .

how bout a free x0x as a prize if i'm right?:D

llyal2000

Hmmm

Post by llyal2000 »

If the X0X0X sounds like the right channel that would be amazing. I would definitely buy a kit... maybe 2.

--Llyal
Arizona, USA

Sossy Jon

303's the left, very close though...

Post by Sossy Jon »

My vote is for the 303 on the left. The tuning is more stable and the performance is smoother at high res values. Just feels like the circuits have been well worn in by time. Of course if I'm wrong then this is the best emu I've ever heard.

kokoon

Post by kokoon »

the end of the second file reveals some quite drastical differences. the right one goes MUCH higher in terms of resonance. don't know which is which but i'd like to believe that the right one is the real one.

computer controlled

Post by computer controlled »

303 on the right, x0xb0x on the left.

k-rite

Post by k-rite »

x0xb0x = left
tb303 = right

I can also hear the pops on the left channel and none on the right. Awsome job! That is super close. :D

fOZf8

Post by fOZf8 »

I voted for the 303=right, xox=left

either way, they are both great. The right channel has a smoother sequencer however, and a better chirp. The left channel has more low end girth, and a 'steppier' sequence, more of a growl as well. Both of these would have supremely useful instances, and I'm not sure which I would prefer to eb honest...I just want to know how much these darn kits cost and how i can get one!

fOZf8

Post by fOZf8 »

Mmmm, after listening to the lofi comparison chart samples, the xox actually sounds more like the right channel to be honest. :shock:

brandon daniel

Post by brandon daniel »

So when do we get to know the answer?

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

oh ya. umm. its the x0xb0x on the left and the 303 on the right (as most people have correctly guessed)

yow! y'all gots good ears.

computer controlled

Post by computer controlled »

13 years of abusing my ears with 303 sequences...i better have guessed it right=o] Excellent job my friend.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “General x0xing”